Gen II gauges and mileage

jaholbro

Registered
So I purchased a Gen1 05 new loved the bike, had to sell the bike.... suck

Anyways I know with the gen1 bikes some shady people would swap out the gauge cluster to show that the bike would have lower mileage than it really did.

I'm looking into buying a used gen2, but I'm a little leery on the used part, because of the mileage thing. Is the mileage on the gen2 still stored in the gauge cluster? Or is it at least slightly more difficult to be a shyster?

i think it's still in the cluster. had a problem where one of my fuses blew one time. all the lights and power to everything( except headlight and engine) went out. when i replaced the fuse, my mileage was still showing the same as it was 200 miles ago when i left.

wanna test it? unplug the cluster and ride a few miles. plug it back in

The mileage is stored in the cluster. I do not think you have to worry so much about people falsifying the mileage so much. Just watch who you buy from. The busa is bulletproof if properly maintained like most.

I wouldn't worry so much about what the cluster says. A lot of factors go into good vs bad buy. Mileage for me is a small one. Look for signs of racing activity like lock wired bolts and race parts. The mileage may be low but it could be ragged out. Conversely, a commuter bike with higher mileage, may be well maintained and like new.

I look for tool marks on main bolts like the swing arm pivot and engine mount bolts. If the bike is supposedly stock, that's a bad sign. Always question aftermarket engine covers. Could be for show or could be crash repairs. Any kind of frame covers must come off for me. I want to see the frame.

Bottom line, mileage is a hard read. Especially if the bike had sprockets changed out. Throws off the speedo and mileage. Good luck and be picky.

I wouldn't worry so much about what the cluster says. A lot of factors go into good vs bad buy. Mileage for me is a small one. Look for signs of racing activity like lock wired bolts and race parts. The mileage may be low but it could be ragged out. Conversely, a commuter bike with higher mileage, may be well maintained and like new.

I look for tool marks on main bolts like the swing arm pivot and engine mount bolts. If the bike is supposedly stock, that's a bad sign. Always question aftermarket engine covers. Could be for show or could be crash repairs. Any kind of frame covers must come off for me. I want to see the frame.

Bottom line, mileage is a hard read. Especially if the bike had sprockets changed out. Throws off the speedo and mileage. Good luck and be picky.

Agreed, and some good tips there

yea i with not worring to much about the odo because iv seen bikes with 2k on the and looked like 99k...it a shame

Back