Tech question

busa_boy_69

Registered
I am kinda puzzled by this. I installed my 4-2-1 system yesterday so I had to take the radiator off to have working room. Well I noticed before I took it off that my reserve resevoir was right on the low line. I though ah no big deal I will hit it with a little when I fill it back up (it hasn't needed any in 2 years). So I flush the radiator while I have it off and fill it back up once bolted on. However my reserve tank stays on low no matter how much I add to the radiator. I thought well maybe it has to be filled seperately. My question is this.....on a Busa does a reserve coolant resevoir level not change as the radiator fluid level changes? I mean I thought once I started the bike and the coolant pumped the level on the reserve would raise or lower or something. I mean it didn't move at all. I am just wondering if I have a problem here or not. Thanks in advance.
BB69

It's supposed to be on the low line when cold. When the engine warms up, it'll fill up to the high mark. It works on pressure and vacuum.

I doubt you'll see it rise at all in 20 minutes, especially being in OH this time of year. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I would burp the system by leaning the bike left and right like the manual states and definitely bring the level in the reserve tank back down to the "low" level. If not, next time you're out riding in hot weather you'll find antifreeze dumping out of the reserve bottle overflow.

I doubt you'll see it rise at all in 20 minutes, especially being in OH this time of year.  I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  I would burp the system by leaning the bike left and right like the manual states and definitely bring the level in the reserve tank back down to the "low" level.  If not, next time you're out riding in hot weather you'll find antifreeze dumping out of the reserve bottle overflow.
You have a point there it was 28 degrees when i was out riding and my temp gauge did nothing out of the normal so cooling wise it seems to be doing its job. I will just check everything one more time and top off the reserve where it should be and wait till some hotter weather and observe it a little closer. Thanks for the input man.

If you notice the level still doesn't move after ridng and / or the hoses "flatten out" after it cools it would need a rad cap

Back