Flush coolant system?

maoz

Registered
The bottom of my reserve tank looks a little off-colored so I am going to flush the entire coolant system as soon as I can find some EngineIce.  The instructions in the service manual seem straight forward enough, although I am a little skeptical that "rocking the bike from side to side" will remove all air from the coolant system.  
rock.gif
 My question though is - what do I use to flush the coolant system after I empty the old coolant out of it?  What exactly is the procedure for flushing (i.e. I know I pour the flush mixture into the radiator, but then what)?

Thanks!

<!--EDIT|maoz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078660968 -->

I believe Engine Ice recommends a vinigar and water flush. Use a 50/50 vinigar (white) and distilled water mix. fill your radiator, resevour, and start the bike. Add your mix untill it is full. Put the cap back on (or you can leave it off, it just keeps the juice off of your bike) and wait for the fan to come on. Drain again. At this point I removed the return hose and let the bike run pumping out water and adding what was left of my vinigar and water, at the same time. When I was out, I shut off the bike and removed the bottom hose. Let her drain, took her down of the stands and did the side to side shake trying to remove any stuff that may be left inside. I then let her sit (it just happened to work out this way) for about 3 or 4 days. Everything on the inside should have been dry. It then added my Engine Ice. Check their website for local dealers.
http://www.cyclelogic.cc/

I think next time I'm going to go with straight NPG+. Never freezes and I just believe it would be better in a hot climate environment. I didn't like the flushing instructions, this is why I went with the Engine Ice the first time. Next time I'll pay the extra money.
http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html

Good luck,

Steve

Steve, got you pointed in the right direction! Engine Ice works as promised......
biggrin.gif

I'd use a rad flush from one of the biggies . Followed by gallons of distilled .

never put "the hose" to yer bike . Distilled or at minimum if you were in a pinch...de-ionized.

Keep yer cap off....run yer bike...drain/flush...repeat . Keep yer cap off...run yer bike....drain/flush...repeat

Cap off stops her from building up pressure which could go everywhere....

an' ya....everyone's bucket looks like that .

hav a cool 1.....RSD.

interesting. It's about that time to do a tune-up. Guess I'll check and see what's goin on underneath them plastics.

Back