Teaching You To Suck Eggs ...

Rivercop UK

Registered
Got the Busa out for the first time since November and after all the mod's I've been doing. Sunny day, dry roads but cold.

Had to take the Busa for its annual M.O.T. test at a garage about 10 miles away. So set off nice and steady until the bike warmed up ... Then you know what happens ... Gotta give it a bit of gas to blow out the cobwebs.

So sat gliding down my local twisties at quite a progressive pace, when I notice something doesn't feel right. So I back off and as I do the back end is wobbling and getting worse .... So I brake over to the side of the road. As I do I caught something out the corner of my eye bouncing down the road.

It was the rear axle nut.

I know it was all my fault, and the stupid stick has been beating me mentally since.

So please guys ... If you have been messing with the bike, or just getting it out of hibernation - CHECK EVERYTHING ... TWICE. I'm usually anal when it comes to double checking my work, and this still slipped past. Had I been doing another 20-30mph and not stopped when I did I could have been spat off and seriously hurt or killed.

Don't take stuff for granted - Be safe.

Glad your OK got mine torque to 70 pounds as per the manual seems a bit high but I know that nut is going nowhere fast :thumbsup:

A good once over (done at least twice) is always a good idea after any amount of time where the bike has been stored, particularly in between riding seasons. If you have done any mods or maintenance those areas should get extra scrutiny. A great reminder as many of us are starting to look forward to the warming months!

So do the Gen II's don't come with a cotter pin installed like my Gen I did?

Gotta check the air pressure after sitting all winter too.

Glad the OP didn't get hurt - we all make mistakes - some hurt more than others - don't ask me how I know. ;)

Back