Synthetic Oil

redbusa04

Registered
To all worried about synthetic oil:
In regards to seal leakage, that was somewhat true in the '70s when they were relatively new because the additive package did not contain any seal conditioners, and some seals did shrink and dry out a bit causing the oil to seep past them. All modern synthetic oils contain seal conditioners to protect and maintain them like conventional oils do.

Regarding clutch slippage, this is another topic that concerns some people. Synthetic oil does not promote clutch slippage under normal use; normal meaning anything done on the street. I used to drag race a Vmax that would occasionally slip after repeated, super hard launches on the strip, so I switched to Kendall conventional oil. The same thing happened with the Kendall after repeated launches. This was on a brand new racing clutch. Alot of what people think is clutch slippage is actually the rear tire hazing, or breaking loose slightly. I proved this by using a race computer, a white stripe on the tire, and a video camera.

Also, all high end race teams in Superbike, MotoGP etc, use synthetic oil. Do you really think they would tolerate a slipping clutch?

After your 'Busa is broken in, do it a favor and use synthetic. It flows better, protects better, runs cooler and lasts longer.
Thanks for taking the time to read this!
-Tim<span style='color:red'></span>

redbusa04,

Thanks for the info. That's a good take on the whole thing. I asked a dealer if they could order some Silkolene, and they guy behind the counter was saying, "Oh, I wouldn't, your clutch will slip."

I hate it when uninformed people recite the same old BS without actually doing any research. </rant>

I am thinking on swithching to Mobil 1 from the Motul 5100.. I was extremely happy with Mobil in the past, especially in the gear department (velvet feeling!..) although in my XTZ-660 it was running low VERY soon (single cyl, large displ. etc..).

Anyone using Mobil 1 on Busa?

I don't have enough (875) miles on my 'Busa to switch to synthetic yet, but I always used Mobil 1 automotive oil in all my bikes with outstanding results. When I would tear down my race motors, everything inside was still practically new in looks and micrometer readings. Very good stuff!
Also, don't get hung up on the whole motorcycle vs car oil nonsense. All that BS about oil molecules being sheared in the transmission if you use car Mobil 1, is just that, BS. ALL oil gets beat up in the transmission, that's why we change it at regular intervals. Don't bother wasting your money on "motorcycle" synthetic, like the one Mobil 1 puts out. The regular Mobil 1 is just as good, and 1/2 the price. But then again, pour in whatever makes you feel good about it.

Thanks all, Tim

..thanks, I think I will go for the Mobil 1.. ..I have only good things to say about it in the past - as I said, PARTICULARLY in the gear friction feeling..

With the syn mobil 1, what weight do you guys prefer, 30, 40 or 50?
I use 10/30 or 40(green/blue top) in the car.  Will the same work in the bike or shld I use the 20/50(red top) high perf. in the bike?

Also with the mobil 1 how often would you change it out in the bike, since it does last longer than dino oil.

Thanks.

<!--EDIT|Orange_Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089672019 -->

I like to use 15W-50. I live in CT, and only get to ride in the summer. If I'm still riding when it get's colder, I switch to 10w-40. I know Mobil 1 doesn't come in 10/40; I use other automotive synthetic like Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple etc. Whatever is available when and where I'm shopping.

Thanks, Tim
p.s. I seem to remember really liking the Redline!

I like to use 15W-50.  I live in CT, and only get to ride in the summer.  If I'm still riding when it get's colder, I switch to 10w-40.  I know Mobil 1 doesn't come in 10/40; I use other automotive synthetic like Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple etc.  Whatever is available when and where I'm shopping.

Thanks, Tim
p.s. I seem to remember really liking the Redline!
Mobil 1 does makes 10w40 it is MX4T mobil 1 , although 15w50 red cap works great in CT. and Florida heat.

Orange Busa,
I have less than 900 miles on mine and have changed it three times, at 50, 200 and 500. I'm very anal and probably have OCD as well, so you might not want to copy me. My advice is at least once a season; never over 3k. If you want to be safe, follow the manual, but don't follow their advice on changing oil filters, change it EVERYTIME you change your oil!!! Don't cheap out on this, use a K&N filter. It very easy to get on and off due to the 17mm nut on the end.

Very best wishes, Tim

Hey,
I mean't automotive Mobil 1 doesn't come in 10/40!
Why do you want automotive oil for your motorcycle??
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

'''use a K&N filter.  It very easy to get on and off due to the 17mm nut on the end.
I also change the filter everytime I change the oil. I have a k&n on it now and had to grind the nut off. It won't fit between the block and the HMF headers.
I've also changed the oil many times in its 5.3k life span. I was just wondering since I used Mobil 1 in it now do I still need to folow the 2.5k change intervals I do?

I just put Mobil 1 10W30 in my baby and she's loving it !! Granted it doesn't get brutal hot here so I don't mind have the low 30 rating besides with the full synthetic should run a bit cooler anyway.

Hey - I have been reading the post and answers since I came across this site in late April. I had just picked up a new 04 Blk/Purp Busa from a great wholesaler in Belair, OH. I've gained a great deal of knowledge of the ins & outs of the Busa (as if there were some outs). This is a mature and informitive site compared to some others I've come across with a rating of 14 and under so I'm cool. The question I have is reguarding synthetics, I have a background with Hi-perfomance engines and have used Mobile 1. When dealing with a transmission in the same fluid as internals, which would be better motorcycle product Mobile 1 or Silkolene. I have also read (if it is accurate)that the factory oil filter has a bypass spring the will allow more oil to flow at higher RPMs. A little background on the bike is Ivans STRE (smart timing retard eleminator) Renthol front sprocket down one (16t) 2300 miles and the bike sees the high side of 8 grand several times when I ride in northern Va. with temps in the high 80's throughout summer and mountain duty. So any recommendations as fair as syns and filters. BTW - There is a heavy Harley population up here and they have been schooled as to what the rear of a Busa looks like, very well
and some several times (I love it when you sucker them in and knock the HD into the past).
cool.gif
THNX Dulimon

Dulimon,
If you're interested in my opinion, it's at the top of the post. I really like the K&N filter because it's built really well, and very easy to get on and off because of the 17mm nut on the cap. But, like Orange-Busa, you may have clearance problems if you have aftermarket headers! I've cut open an OEM Suzuki filter, and saw nothing special in there regarding the high RPM bypass valve, just the normal one that is used if the filter ever gets too clogged to maintain normal oil pressure, which would never really happen unless you left it on there for around 50,000 miles!
Mobil 1 and Silkolene are great oils, as are any premium synthetic oils on the market today. I prefer to use 10w-40 or 15w-50, but I'm going to try the Syntec 5w-50 next oil change. I'll let you know how it goes.

Best Wishes, Tim

THNX Tim I appreaciate your info. I've used K&N in the past and it is good to know that the internals are the same. I've read that Mobile 1 gives a smoother shifting trans so I think I'll give it a try. Eather way running a syn is better than dino lube in my opinuon.

Hey Tim,

A few months ago Sport Rider Magazine did a 2 part series on oil for use in motorcycles and they found some definite advantages to "motorcycle" oil vs car oil in motorcycle engines. You might pick up the 2 issues and check them out. You may wind up with the same feelings, but you might find some information in the 2 articles that you would find very interesting and worth considering.

Kent

Hi Kent,

I did read those articles, and alot of what they said seems to make sense, but I've also read alot articles that say the exact opposite. Don't forget, the articles in the motorcycle magazines may be influenced by advertising dollars. Wouldn't it be weird to see an article in a motorcycle magazine that said there is really no difference between auto and cycle oils, while the pages are loaded with ads from Spectro, Motul, Repsol, etc, etc?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against motorcycle specific oils, they are exceptional at what they do, it's just that I have a problem with the scare tactics and steep prices. The truth is, it's near impossible to find a poor quality oil anymore.

Pour in what makes you happy, and go riding!!!

-Tim

Back