Synch the throttle bodies

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
Can I use just 4 10 dollar vacume gages mounted on a board to sych the throttle bodies?

Chris -
Don't do it... That is exactly what I tried to do and I failed miserably. You would be better off buying a $30 decent vaccum gauge and just moving the gage from port to port... I messed with my $10 Harbor Frieght specials for three days before I finally gave in and bought a $30 gauge at the Zone and was done in 40 minutes....
Save your self the time and trouble by learning from one who has jacked it up my brother....

Shawn - you did the sync with just one gauge? How did you compare the two 'bodies'? Just hook up and look at the reading? I remember you had some difficulty last week; obviously you got it figured out.

I was thinking of going to Grainger and picking up 4 - liquid (glycerin) filled vacuum gauges and making my own cluster; about $18 each. The glycerin will help dampen any vibrations.

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154046743 -->

Omar - Basically, what I did was adjust 1 and 2, then three and four individually; at one point I was reading 9 inches on one side and like 18 on the other, this was by pulling the hose off of each port and just going back and forth, then just making center adjustments until they pulled in at 13. Once I had the two side sync'd and was just matching them, I checked the 2 and 3 against each other until I thought I was done, cracked the throttle and let it settle, then checked all four --- all at 13.
It would have been nice to use a guage that had a regulator so that the readings wouldn't have been so erratic... sounds like your plan would work well.... I originally did exactly what Chris is thinking of, and that was what was causing my problems... If I had used better gauges it would have been much easier, but I got these $9 POSs from Harbor Frieght and caused myself alot of stress and frustration!

But she is running purdy now! Momma and I just got back from a short ride....
thumbs-up.gif

Omar - Basically, what I did was adjust 1 and 2, then three and four individually; at one point I was reading 9 inches on one side and like 18 on the other, this was by pulling the hose off of each port and just going back and forth, then just making center adjustments until they pulled in at 13.  Once I had the two side sync'd and was just matching them, I checked the 2 and 3 against each other until I thought I was done, cracked the throttle and let it settle, then checked all four --- all at 13.
It would have been nice to use a guage that had a regulator so that the readings wouldn't have been so erratic...  sounds like your plan would work well.... I originally did exactly what Chris is thinking of, and that was what was causing my problems... If I had used better gauges it would have been much easier, but I got these $9 POSs from Harbor Frieght and caused myself alot of stress and frustration!

But she is running purdy now!   Momma and I just got back from a short ride....
thumbs-up.gif
Man if i knew thats what you were doing,,,, i would have sent you my mercury sticks!!! And you wouldn't have had all the problems!!!!

John,
It's all good - part of the learning curve!  Thanks for the thought though....  You da man!

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: "5100"|1154058287 -->

Omar - Basically, what I did was adjust 1 and 2, then three and four individually; at one point I was reading 9 inches on one side and like 18 on the other, this was by pulling the hose off of each port and just going back and forth, then just making center adjustments until they pulled in at 13. Once I had the two side sync'd and was just matching them, I checked the 2 and 3 against each other until I thought I was done, cracked the throttle and let it settle, then checked all four --- all at 13.
It would have been nice to use a guage that had a regulator so that the readings wouldn't have been so erratic... sounds like your plan would work well.... I originally did exactly what Chris is thinking of, and that was what was causing my problems... If I had used better gauges it would have been much easier, but I got these $9 POSs from Harbor Frieght and caused myself alot of stress and frustration!

But she is running purdy now! Momma and I just got back from a short ride....
thumbs-up.gif
Hmmm. I've been PM'ing loboboy about his setup. He's got dial gauges and his have some sort of adjustable 'clamp' to squeeze the vacuum line closed. I guess this helps with the 'jumping' of the needle.

The dial gauges I'm looking at are Glycerin filled - I'm hoping that this helps somewhat with that - also looking at putting an inline regulator to act as a 'damping' control.

A buddy of mine has some Mercury Stix, but I just don't like the thought of possibly sucking mercury into the motor...

A friend of mine and I looked all over town for something decent to work with today and couldnt find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction to buy the mercury sticks or the ball type guages?

A friend of mine and I looked all over town for something decent to work with today and couldnt find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction to buy the mercury sticks or the ball type guages?
Chris,
I think Motion Pro sells the mercury sticks online.

Back