How important is it to synch the throttle bodies at first service?

chuckfina

Registered
My mechanic can do everything called for in the manual for my 600 mile first service on my 09 Busa at his house except throttle body synch. On 08s or newer you need a diagnostic device and computer to synch the throttle bodies so he would need to do that at the dealership. How important is it to synch the throttle bodies during the bikes very first service? Is it really necessary? I'm I taking a chance on screwing something up by not doing that?

Last edited:
You are fine without it, unless you are experiencing an issue that leads you to believe a TBS is indicated.

One trait that the Gen II Busa shares with the old CBR1100XX Blackbirds is that it apparently "holds" it's throttle synch very, very well. On two Blackbirds that I rode over 225,000 miles, I never had to do a TBS on them. Ever. For grin, I would occasionally put the mercury sticks on them to check... the columns were always within mm's of each other.

It's looking to be the same on my Gen II Busa... with well over 30,000 miles, the motor is still like glass. Never did a TBS on it, though I do have access to the proper Diagnostic computer to perform one it I needed to.

Be thankful the Busa has a vastly different EFI system than the Yamaha FJR1300. The FJR's throttle bodies can't maintain its calibration worth a rat's ass. There is a reason that the FJR's Service Manual calls for a TBS on that bike every four thousand miles! ???

Incidentally, that 600-mile TBS check is for CA-spec Gen II bikes only... not for the rest.

Last edited:
What about 16,000? Mine's never been done and I've got a little over 16,000 on it. I was thinking about doing it over the winter while I'm not riding quite as much, but I'm not sure since the mercury sticks cost so much. I've noticed a little bit of an extended crank time since I got it but I'm not sure if that's due to the TBS, valve adjustment, or spark plugs. I would imagine It's probably a little of all 3, and I plan to check both adjustments and change the plugs, but I was just wondering how neccesary it was.

Carbtune's...90 bucks...

I don't feel like taking my bike to the dealer and letting them mess with it when I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself at my house. If it's $90 at the dealership and the mercury sticks are $70, I'm still savin money doin it myself. Plus it gives me a cure for the weekend boredom. (I think it's supposed to rain this weekend.

I don't feel like taking my bike to the dealer and letting them mess with it when I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself at my house. If it's $90 at the dealership and the mercury sticks are $70, I'm still savin money doin it myself. Plus it gives me a cure for the weekend boredom. (I think it's supposed to rain this weekend.

Who said anything about a dealer? Carbtune...:whistle:

Back