Swingarm bearings ~ Questions ~

ICEMANN

Registered
I am about to switch out my polished swingarm for a chome one. I got a pair of new # 3 bearings, the #2 spacer that goes between them, and a pair of #4 bearings. Everything else I can use off of the old swingarm. I have some questions being Ive never done this before..

1. should/can I use the old "DUST COVERS" or should I replace them too leaving the old intact?
2. Do I need a special tool to remove the swingarm?
3. I know the bearings are "pressed in". Any tips on how to or where to take it. Local suz shop has never done one and doesnt have a bearing press tool go figure..
4. Do the bearings go in a "CERTAIN WAY" are they directional or "this side out" they are not marked in anyway.
5. Besides having to cut/undo the chain and rear caliper is there anything else Im missing or not considering?

Thanks for anyhelp.
JD

to get the bearings out...just use a wood dowel to get one side, and then slide a big socket down the other to get out. The smaller bearings you will be better off buying new.

No special tool needed...just a big flat blade screw driver and a big hammer.

Thanks, but my question is more towards the actual swingarm removal not the bearings. I bought all new bearings just need to know which way they go in? Do I need any thing off the old swingarm? Do I need something special to get them in correctly?

Thanks
JD

you can tap them in gently and level with a large socket... one just big enough to push on the outer edje of the bearing.

look at your old swingarm for a reference to see how far to insert the bearings, etc.

Back