Swingarm bearing removal???

JT's

Registered
Greetings, and thanks for having this forum. My very good friend has a Hayabusa, He's had a few, among them a turbo'd nitrous breathing street machine.
Forgive me please-I think he's nuts. The things are scary-I get my adrenaline much easier.

I do love the bike though.

He wants me to powdercoat a swingarm for him, and for the life of me I cannot get the smaller set of bearings out using all resources from my 2 remaing brain cells.

:banghead: The larger pivot bearings were no issue for my press-however the smaller set has me confused.

There seems to be a shaft tube in between the 2 bearings. I cannot get anything in there to press the bearing out.

Is this tube a separate piece?
Can I press all of it out one side?

THanks for the help. I did a search but didn't really find my answer-maybe I missed something or searched the wrong words-

Ive changed out swingarms on an 02 and 03.and it is definately a pita to get the bearings out.cheaper and lot less time consuming to just replace them.but removing the inners.you just about heve to destroy them to get them out if you do not have the right removal tools. :welcome: :beerchug:

I'll turn em to mush if I have to-I only care about getting a good coat of powder on them.

Is the center tube separate? will the 3 parts slide in the frame tube?

I can't even get a chisel to hang on the inner edge of lower bearing-I tried to pound it out like that and no go-
grr

I used a die grinder on mine to cut the the smaller ones. Like you said the large ones can be salvaged.

Welcome!

Welcome to the oRg. I hope this goes well for you. Sorry I am not any help. :welcome:

Thanks for the help and warm welcome.

It was suggested to me to leave the bearings in. I may just do this if I can get the grease out.

Thanks for the help and warm welcome.

It was suggested to me to leave the bearings in. I may just do this if I can get the grease out.

My powder coater said they needed to come out. I pulled them. I'm thinking I could flush out enough of the grease and maybe whip up some plugs on the lathe to bolt onto them to seal it. Didn't have time to try it then.

Those bearings are quite important.
The entire weight of the rear of the bike rests on them through the dog bones and rear shock.
When I did mine I had to destroy them to get them out.
Take a small screwdriver and go at the rollers and get them all out first. Then take a dremel and cut a slot from the inside to the outside of the bearing housing. You can then take the screwdriver and gently tap in between the swingarm and the housing near the grind line that you made, and it will start to move towards the center. Then grab it with needlenose pliers and twist it in wards (like the old sardine can openers, and you can yank it out.
I would definitely take them out and replace them.
Also I put a tiny coating of anti seize around the new ones. They are so hard to get out due to the different metals of bearing housing and swingarm seizing together.
Put the anti seize on for next time, and they also go in easier.
Do you have a way to get them back in?
I used a threaded rod and 2 washers and pulled them in one at a time.
Don't pound on them!
Good luck and welcome!

You need a blind bearing puller. I had to buy one when I did my swingarm. It lets you reuse the bearings since the tool removes them intact.

You need a blind bearing puller. I had to buy one when I did my swingarm. It lets you reuse the bearings since the tool removes them intact.

I have one of those and my bearings were almost crazy - glued in by the seizure factor, and it didn't work.
It would sure be worth a try.
I had to work like a SOB to get mine out.

Go to the board sponsors and see which ones sell OEM parts, there are a couple of them.
There are 2 bearings one on each side.

Back