Suzuki Bandit

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I took a friend of mine to get this yesterday.
Monday morning the seller posted it on FB Marketplace, I saw it, and send pics of it to my friend(he doesn't have FB).
He had been wanting a big cc sport touring bike, with decent power and more upright seating.
Not picky, no big budget, but whatever popped up that was too good of a deal to pass up, so we both have been looking at several bikes for a couple months(FZ1's, Z1's, few others)
Long story short, we had an easy 8 hour round trip.
The seller was retired, and had several cars and 7 bikes parked outside, all for sale, all in excellent condition, he said he was just downsizing to one bike.
This is a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200, it has 20k miles on it, the rear mudflap was trimmed sometime in antiquity, lol, a ss line from the front brake mc to where it splits to 2 rubber hoses at the wheel(strange but ok), and it has the Micron slip-on muffler, and a Zero-Gravity windshield(optically correct, light tint, and no scratches) otherwise it's stock(also has engine crash bars, not sure if they're aftermarket or factory).
The factory blue paint sparkles in the sun, and the whole bike is in excellent condition, aside from a few small scuffs here and there(who cares).
This thing has been well taken care of.
It just passed the required annual Va state inspection here, and has an almost new set of Stinko's on it.
And they have a center stand!
I've yet to ride it, but will soon.
He said it power wheelies 1st and 2nd easily, and it should, as these one hundred hp engines make 80 lb feet of torque...at 3500 rpm!!
He wanted something comfortable, with strong midrange, and adjustable suspension for decent cornering.
These check all the boxes, and go for $4k-$4500 here, and not in this good of condition either.
When I asked the seller how much he wanted for it, he said he wouldn't take any less than $2k for it...I ask him what time we could come get it, lol
There are alot of better bikes out there now for sure...but some of these classics you run across rarely, especially good ones, so 2 grand for this beautiful piece of bygone Suzuki, just could not be turned down.
I'm glad he bought it too, because I sold my Drz400 last week...and I'de have brought it to my house instead, lol.
He just text me and said that he went to the dmv and put it on his insurance, rode it 50 miles and it runs and rides excellent.
Money well spent.

20240319_192751.jpg

20240319_192700.jpg

20240319_192731.jpg

20240319_192951.jpg

20240319_192709.jpg

Last edited:
Monday morning the seller posted it on FB Marketplace, I saw it, and send pics of it to my friend(he doesn't have FB).
He had been wanting a big cc sport touring bike, with decent power and more upright seating.
Not picky, no big budget, but whatever popped up that was too good of a deal to pass up, so we both have been looking at several bikes for a couple months(FZ1's, Z1's, few others)
The seller was retired, and had several cars and 7 bikes parked outside, all for sale, all in excellent condition, he said he was just downsizing to one bike.
This is a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200, it has 20k miles on it, the rear mudflap was trimmed sometime in antiquity, lol, a ss line from the front brake mc to where it splits to 2 rubber hoses at the wheel(strange but ok), and it has the Micron slip-on muffler, and a Zero-Gravity windshield(optically correct, light tint, and no scratches) otherwise it's stock(also has engine crash bars, not sure if they're aftermarket or factory).
The factory blue paint sparkles in the sun, and the whole bike is in excellent condition, aside from a few small scuffs here and there(who cares).
It just passed the required annual Va state inspection here, and has an almost new set of Stinko's on it.
He said it power wheelies 1st and 2nd easily, and it should, as these one hundred hp engines make 80 lb feet of torque...at 3500 rpm!!
He wanted something comfortable, with strong midrange, and adjustable suspension for decent cornering.
These check all the boxes, and go for $4k-$4500 here, and not in this good of condition either.
When I asked the seller how much he wanted for it, he said he wouldn't take any less than $2k for it...I ask him what time we could come get it, lol
There are alot of better bikes out there now for sure...but some of these classics you run across rarely, especially good ones, so 2 grand for this beautiful piece of bygone Suzuki, just could not be turned down.
I'm glad he bought it too, because I sold my Drz400 last week...and I'de have brought it to my house instead, lol.
He just text me and said that he went to the dmv and put it on his insurance, rode it 50 miles and it runs and rides excellent.
Money well spent.

View attachment 1680612

View attachment 1680613

View attachment 1680614

View attachment 1680615

View attachment 1680616
What a score!!!! I’m sure your friend will be happy with it!

Money well spent.

View attachment 1680612

View attachment 1680613

View attachment 1680614

View attachment 1680615

View attachment 1680616
Brilliant catch. It is a beauty, but the micron exhaust, somehow for me that doesn't belong. However, if it functions well...

Brilliant catch. It is a beauty, but the micron exhaust, somehow for me that doesn't belong. However, if it functions well...

Micron is long out of business, but they were a big deal here back then.
That muffler was probably put on by the original owner.
The stock muffler looks great, but he didn't have it, but he did have a bone stock, red Bandit 600 with the factory poslished muffler, and it looked really good.
I prefer the look and sound of stock exhausts now on the older bikes, but their weight is the killer.
The Micron isnt loud, gives the engine that classic Suzuki sound, and dropped about 10 lbs off that side.
He has no plans to do anything other than brake upgrades, dial in the suspension, and ride it.

The stock muffler looks great, but he didn't have it, but he did have a bone stock, red Bandit 600 with the factory poslished muffler, and it looked really good.
I prefer the look and sound of stock exhausts now on the older bikes, but their weight is the killer.
The Micron isnt loud, gives the engine that classic Suzuki sound, and dropped about 10 lbs off that side.
He has no plans to do anything other than brake upgrades, dial in the suspension, and ride it.
Sounds like a solid plan. :thumbsup:

Air + Oil cooled... It was inevitable. It meant liability for manufacturers if we are talking about performance machines, they want dummy proof insurance.
For example Triumph Speed Twin. (hidden water cooled)
(... and that is why we will end up with self-balancing, autonomous driving, fake sustainable (e.g.: EV powertrain), without gears motorcycles. To prevent you to became their problem.)

There are several OEM cans on eBay in varying condition and pricing. They look very similar to the gen1 busa cans.

I had a 2000 Gen 1 1200 and it was a good bike.....bullet proof at that.

I had a full Hindle Ti system on it with Progressive suspension and a stage 2 jet kit with GSXR750 intake cam on the exhaust side that way you keep the low end snort and add a little top end....

The stock exhaust is crazy heavy like the Gen 2 Hayabusa exhaust....I saved about 35-40 lbs by going with the Hindle.

Although you don't want too much top end because these things have a spaghetti frame and flex badly when pushed...

It was the closest thing to a cruiser in my garage at the time....

I think dollar for dollar, pound for pound, it was as capable as any liter bike up to a certain speed and could out handle most of them especially after the suspension work and aftermarket bars I put on it.

Good find, he'll have miles of smiles.....

I like the oilcooled Bandit 12’s, not so much the Watercooled 1250’s.
Being a soft version of the old GSXR there’s a heap of pic-n-mix upgrades that are well tested and proven.
Cams wake them up, and I prefer a coil spring clutch to the factory diaphragm one.
They are a long way from being a sports bike and you’d have to swap out a huge amount of stuff to head that direction, but that’s not their forte, they are brilliant at being what they are, a fun, tough basic naked bike, big boys Meccano.

301892BE-6740-4590-AE89-7C1FB04AA911.jpeg

E7D6AF2E-A819-469B-BE38-E8343E73882D.jpeg

The later models were water cooled, if I remember correctly.
The original 12’s, are normally just referred to as oilcooled (even though the motors are partly air cooled), but yes, the later 1250’s were Watercooled.

Much prefer the earlier bikes, although they got a soft tune set up they were very much GSXR1100 based, and benefit from this in several ways.

The Watercooled 1250 was (like the GSX1400) more of a stand alone motor that’s outside of the normal Suzuki thinking of using an engine in multiple bikes in various guises.

Yeah man
He's thrilled with it.
We're mid 40's too...somewhere between nostalgia...and having enough aches and pains to finally appreciate sport tourers and super nakeds, vs crippled from being on a gsxr for 400-500 milels
lol
I put the busa back to stock and was reminded of how out of shape I am when I tried the handlebars back in stock position and my sciatic nerve was screaming at me on the stock seat. Lol

Back