Suspension Question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
The following is a copy/paste right off the GP Suspension website. Here is my question. I was looking to upgrade to a Penske Double clicker this winter. That shock is close to $1k by itself then I was going to have to have the forks worked anyway. Would sending my suspension (front and rear) to these guys be acceptable over the penske?

FORKS Labor $160
SHOWA Oil 20
Seals 26
Springs 100
Compression Kit 155
Compression Needles 30
Detent Cap 6
Rebound Needles 30
Chemicals/Waste 10
TOTAL $537

SHOCK Labor $140
SHOWA Oil 10
Nitrogen 10
Spring 100
Valve Kit 155
TOTAL $435

Don

I talked to someone a Gp the other day about my shock,tryed to talk me into the 830.00 Penske unit,,said they dont rebuild alota Busa stock shocks. Thinks i'm going with Greg over at HPC for the rear rebuild.

In my opinion no matter what you do with the OEM shock, it is not going to equal a Penske or Ohlins shock that is set up correctly. This is mainly based on my involvement with off-road shocks from years ago, but I have not seen anything to sway that opinion.

For instance on my dirt bike, I had it revalved 3 times by various people. Pro-Circuit did the best job on it. I tried a friends Ohlins and ordered one the next day. Ran it two years and it worked fantastic.

Did the same things on a few profession level bikes as well.

That said for the street, most riders will not be able to take advantage of it of the better hardware anyhow. Heck, Id even say the majority have never turned the clickers on their stock stuff and felt the difference if they even turned them at all.

So boils down to you budget and long term goals but basically if you plan on getting into track days on it you might consider aftermarket. On the street the performance of revalved and resprung OEMs should be the best bank for the buck.

Thanks Rick,
This bike will never see the track, drag or road course. I was thinking along the same lines as you stated. For street only use, I would probably be ok with resprung and revalved OEM stuff.

Don

Thats whats going on with my fronts... gold valve kits and 1.0 springs (I do not ride hard)

I should be sending Mr Bogus, and Powers739's fork back to them this week! Let them tell you what they think, after they recive them!

SHOCK Labor $140
SHOWA Oil 10
Nitrogen 10
Spring 100
Valve Kit 155
TOTAL $435
I had ohlin internals installed in my front forks for about $800 parts and labor. Made a world of difference, the stock front just doesn't cut it for trackdays.

I'm still using the stock shock adjusted for my weight and riding style. When I can afford it I am planning to have the shock revalved and sprung for trackday use. There's no way I can afford to spend a grand on aftermarket shocks. $435 sounds just a bit high but not outrageous. I'll try and find out what the guy who did my forks chargers for doing the shock.

This is the guy who did my work, obviously you're not in SoCal. But at least you could compare prices.
http://www.ppsracing.com/

About a year ago, I had my shocks resprung and revalved. It made all the difference in the world for street riding. The bike was handling turns 10,000% better. Problem was, the back was playin' games with me. So I went and had the shock redone as well. Got me another 10,000% better performance.

The bike could probably be better if I spent more money for a better suspension system but I'm no pro racer and 99.999% of my riding is done on the street anyway so I'm good. You probably will be too.

Everything was about the same price as what you listed above.

--Wag--

I have to agree 100% with the Prof. here-Ohlins CRUSHES OEM shock, but for reg. street riding?? (not doin a Ghostrider-remake Video
firedevil.gif
) OEM revalved shock shud be cool-doin tha job for me just fine.

I say this cuz I borrowed a buds '04 R-1 w/a full Ohlins setup off his '05 Limited (didnt like that yellow much...) for a week I ran it hard to see what it would handle...lets just day BigD's "fill tha shorts meter" got pegged WAAAAY before this bike ran out of handling abilities
firedevil.gif

Then got back on my Busa w/a revalved kit from HPC for the rear-it was w HUGE improvement over stock, but still-Ohlins is what it is, and my stuf...aint. that simple. For my $$ tho?? Id never invest in Ohlins/Penske/Hyperpro for a streetbike-thats like buying BSTs for a Harley V-Rod IMO

R1_pics_008.jpg

firedevil.gif

Back