summer's coming

pbghost

Registered
any one still do pit BBQs? I have the land with plenty of trees for firewood and access to a backhoe to dig the pit. when I used to live in Colorado, my family ,friends, and neighbors would have a pit BBQ at my grandparent's land. it was great, and since it was like a pot-luck / contribution event, costs were minimal. I was just a teen back then, so I really don't know the ins & outs of making one successful or how to cook the pig, all I remember is feeding the fire all night and drinking a lot o' beer. was thinking of trying one at the end of summer/ early fall, if I can do a trial one and get it to turn out ok. if so, I'll keep y'all posted, since it'll be open invitation. any tips very much appreciated
ThumbsUp.gif

I am a gas man now...much quicker. Some of the big bbq's I go to we still use wood.

we had used a 8x8x6 pit, made a basket out of hog wire supported with 2 2"x10' pipes and covered with sheets of corragated tin roofing.

I miss pit bbq's

We used javelina/elk/bear/venison 6' deep X 3' long hole, about half a cord of mesquite and a dozen or so burlap bags.

Lite off the fire and let it burn down to pure coals (4 hours or so) (hole is now about 3' deep

a layer of insulate (in AZ we used palm fronds and then a 1/2" sheet of plywood)
wrapped all the heavily seasoned meat in wet virgin burlap bag material (4 or 5 layers deep)
All the meat then went on top of the ply and the a deep layer of palm fronds again, layer of ply and then dirt.

The top layer of dirt was maybe 12 to 18" deep

8 hours later some of the most tender meat... and all the gamey flavor would be gone too.. Only way I could ever eat "bear" meat, stuff is pretty tough..

Never tried to cook in a pit.  I do my grilling and smoking on this...

SmokerFront.jpg

looks like it should have caboose hooked to it
smile.gif
I would love to learn how to smoke meat the right way..

rofl.gif
Hey Scott, they only reason you should go to the corner is because you got to post that before me!!!

That was a gift from my wife about 6 years ago, it's a Lyfe Tyme smoker. It's made from 20" pipe that is 1/4" thick, 7' long and weighs about 700lbs.

After the bash we will have to see about a little get together and do some briskets and chickens.

rofl.gif
Hey Scott, they only reason you should go to the corner is because you got to post that before me!!!  

That was a gift from my wife about 6 years ago, it's a Lyfe Tyme smoker.  It's made from 20" pipe that is 1/4" thick, 7' long and weighs about 700lbs.

After the bash we will have to see about a little get together and do some briskets and chickens.
If the days fall right...I wll bring a brisket.

This sounds like it has some possibilities! I'll talk to the Mrs. and put some days together to see what works. It will probably be in May.

Back