Sui-side stand (gen 3)

My 'Busa has never hit the ground, but it has fallen off the kickstand like four times for different reasons, all my fault.

Thank God the worst was the first time, two days after I got it, and all I got was a scratched mirror and a bruised thigh. Thing pinned me against the garage wall when it fell. :p

Yeah, I agree the kickstand is not safe. There's
no margin between safety or danger. It's a Russian roulette of trust in simple physics.

I have never had a bike fall over on its kickstand, Never downhill, always in gear if there is a doubt.
It reminds me of the 916 owners dropping their bikes after side stand retracted, and blamed the design.

Based on your experience it is kind of a grey zone and very much depends on the user preference. If the user would like to trust it no matter what, this is a poor design. If the user have no trust in any side stand design it won't cause problems. So you need to decide where are you in between the two ends and act accordingly as Suzuki doesn't think this is their job to make it more bulletproof. So if you are like to park the bike and don't want to take extra precautions each and every time - so handle it "normally" - it will most probably fail on you sooner or later. If you handle it with OCD every time it won't cause any problems.

I agree it's not 100% foolproof like some stands. I tried to push it off the stand just to see what it took, didn't seem too easy to do.
I have had many bikes over the years, I guess some are better than others.
Maybe I just am more careful, but if a simple grinder makes it better for people than that's an easy fix.

I’ve been meaning to do this mod. I just am super careful when parking it always leaving it in 1st and rolling forward against the gear.
This coming from the same super careful dumbAzz that dropped it right off the rear stand in the driveway….

I’ve been meaning to do this mod. I just am super careful when parking it always leaving it in 1st and rolling forward against the gear.
This coming from the same super careful dumbAzz that dropped it right off the rear stand in the driveway….
... from the rear stand?! how? during setting up?

This was a borderline stand side on my MZ as well. Although it had a spring to open it on full angle, but that angle was not really steep. I have rarely used that as I had a center stand.
bikepics-419212-full (1).jpg

Tell us how you really feel!
I have discovered during this first 500 kms that opening of the side stand with that "nipple" is kind of pain in the arse, so I naturally gravitating towards the extension plate what I have added as I have the leverage to open the side stand if I use that. Maybe I am using it wrong...
On my previous bike that "nipple" was really designed to give you the leverage to open the side stand.
Screenshot_2024-03-13-17-08-27-684.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-03-13-17-11-26-010.jpeg

Read this post last week while waiting to take delivery of my new Busa. The whole discussion of the bike rolling off the stand and falling was very concerning. Even the dealer emphasized to me no less than 3 times during the "walk-around" to ensure the bike is always in gear when parked and not pointed downhill. I had to drive 235 miles home from the dealer. I was borderline paranoid every time I stopped for gas or a rest break to ensure the bike was stable.

Did the kickstand mod this morning. Took 40 minutes total while drinking coffee and taking pics. Why wouldn't you do this? It's stupidly easy. Worth it for the piece of mind. I also recycled my Zx4RR's stand pad onto the new bike. Lots more area in the footpad for stability..... and a little tribute to my previous ride.

20240313-104732.jpg

20240313-112006.jpg

It’s just a lazy corporation nowadays producing stale bikes that nobody wants.
Your comment made me wondering that is there any fresh data to check. My assumption was that they are just fine, but this data says they are actually delivering pretty good. So maybe they are just to busy with counting the money, so they don't give a dime to polish the green grass even more. (even if the grass is painted and artificial , but real estate buyers just love it)

Back