Stupid Question.. Relays

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So what kind of relay do i need cause Im not sure. I and getting the PMR clutch mount switches soon and because they are low amp switches, I need to get a relay. I google all kinds of things for relays and whats coming up is not what i need because I do not know the specific wording for the type of relay i need... Please help me cause I do not know what i need :laugh:.

Thanks guys :beerchug:

What do you plan on powering the switches with? + do they have a rating on them...I have them too...so far no issues.

As for the relay bosch /tyco are commonly used. I believe they are called a spdt (single pole double throw) spst (singlr pole single throw)...then there is the amp rating associated with a given part#. Here is a link...they have them at parts stores and many other web sites Amazon.com: 12 VDC Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A: Electronics look for the consumption of what you are powering and choose you relay.

The relay diagram is for purposes of the #'s 86, 87 etc...trace them to apply it to your project.

relay deal.jpg

Sweet, Yeah im looking to use the pmr switches for my HID and also for my radiator fans. Not sure what the third one will be for yet

If i am just interrupting the - to use for the switches instead of + do i need relays?

don't think so, all the amperage should be expended on the ground side of the load

If i am just interrupting the - to use for the switches instead of + do i need relays?

Do the fans and headlight already have relays? If so you don't need another one. Use the oem one.

How do you want to control the fans? You could eliminate the thermostat and put your switch in it's place in the circut to give you the choice of on or off. Or you could wire it , on/off/auto. Probably not with the PMR switch.

Do the fans and headlight already have relays? If so you don't need another one. Use the oem one.

How do you want to control the fans? You could eliminate the thermostat and put your switch in it's place in the circut to give you the choice of on or off. Or you could wire it , on/off/auto. Probably not with the PMR switch.

I dont know where the relays are :laugh: Or i would. I will read over the service manual and see what i cant find

I would not interupt the negative side. Interupt the Postive side that way if there is a short somewhere you will not kill your battery and possibly start a fire.

Just an FYI

I would not interupt the negative side. Interupt the Postive side that way if there is a short somewhere you will not kill your battery and possibly start a fire.

Just an FYI

Yeah for the headlights I will rewire it that way. But the fans are set up that when the temp is reach the fan triggers ground which turns them on...

Back