help me please on relay set up for horn

2hip

Registered
Busa Men, I am almost done with my Nautilus Horn install. Did all of the mods suggested by Kruzin(?) and am now ready to wire it up. Here is what I understand and please advise me...
1. position 30 on the relay is for the battery (+) 12 guage wire
2. position 87 on the relay goes to the (+) pole on the air horn w/12 guage
3. position 86 on the relay goes to the (+) line from the horn button and is a
smaller guage wire. This wire is above wheel well. This wire is what
triggers the event to close the pole in the relay and trigger the battery
power (12 volt) at approx 9 amps to blow the horn.
4. position 85 on the relay goes to the (-) wire on the horn button and is a
smaller guage wire.

Where I am getting lost on this...is I would have thought there was a 12 guage wire coming from the battery to somewhere on the relay??? Or is the position 85 which is being grounded by the horn button (switch on the handlebars) sufficient ground?

I will take pics and post soon...need just a little extra help on this wiring so I don't blow up something...oh, by the way, I have a 20 amp ATO fuse near the battery...thanks...2hip

ooppss...I also forgot to ask. do I just ground the horn (-) pole all the way back to the battery (-) pole...Or do I ground it to the frame? Please advise...2 hip

On a relay like that, the 85 terminal is a ground to frame. Terminal 30 will be your battery POSITIVE. 12 Ga. wire might be overkill, unless you plan on leaning on the horn. Just don't use 22 Ga. wire, as you will be sure to fry it.

I'm not familiar with the horn, but relays are pretty much universal in such applications.

Find a good spot along the frame, and ground it there. Be sure you have a good contact point to bare metal, and believe it or not, a star washer is a very good idea for grounding applications.

Correct me if im wrong(no schematic handy)but isnt the horn "GROUND" activated? I know it was on my zx12r, but maybe suki does it different? ??? If this is the case you need to CHANGE up a bit! the wire that comes from yor horn button will go to 85, run a 12v "key on" wire to 86, leave 30 alone, 87 will be your "exciter" wire(12v) to the "+" side of horn. then just ground "-" side of horn to frame. But like i said....not sure if busa's horn are "GROUND" activated, IF NOT, i typed all this for nothing and disregard statement above :whistle: :laugh:

I'm going by a 5 terminal relay.

When you say "ground activated" do you mean that the horn is always live, and needs an intermittent ground to work?

If you mean that you need a complete circuit for the accessory to work, yes that would be correct.

With the draw that a high-output horn would require, using a trigger wire would probably not be a good idea. Running from the battery, or main fuse would be a better alternative. There should still be a 20-30 amp fuse somewhere between the battery and the relay.

Use this schematic.... I added the 08 busa horn wire colors.

The existing horn wires provide the small amount of current necessary to close the contacts for the high current from the battery to flow to the new horn. That high current continues its path through the horn to ground via a 14 GA wire to a good chassis ground..... no need to go back to the battery.

Position 85 is powered up through the ignition switch.... that is the OEM tan wire with blue stripe.
Position 86 is grounded by the horn button, the OEM black horn wire.

horn.jpg

Last edited:

The existing horn wires provide the small amount of current necessary to close the contacts for the high current from the battery to flow to the new horn. That high current continues its path through the horn to ground via a 14 GA wire to a good chassis ground..... no need to go back to the battery.

Position 85 is powered up through the ignition switch.... that is the OEM tan wire with blue stripe.

+1 Very nice "high gain" :bowdown: Ya Thats pretty much what i was saying, you just wired the bosh backwars from me(same result though) Very nice schematic brother

Last edited:
I'm going by a 5 terminal relay.

When you say "ground activated" do you mean that the horn is always live, and needs an intermittent ground to work?

If you mean that you need a complete circuit for the accessory to work, yes that would be correct.

With the draw that a high-output horn would require, using a trigger wire would probably not be a good idea. Running from the battery, or main fuse would be a better alternative. There should still be a 20-30 amp fuse somewhere between the battery and the relay.

Ya a 5 term bosh relay is perfect, the middle pole which in most is "87A" this is your "normally closed pole"(you wont be using), "30" is your " common" "86 and 85" is the "coil side of your relay" and "87" is your "normally open" pole. If you need any other help you can give me a ring bro 1-209-247-2778

HiGain, thanks for the schematic...after talking with ToxicRocket I understood that it doesn't matter if (+) from battery goes to 30 or 87. Nice schematic and that was very nice work there, sir!!! This website rocks...2hip

Phil, thanks for your advice and time...I totally understand what to do now with the schematic from HighGain Busa...thanks guys...so appreciated..2hip

That's nice work. It's true that a picture (or schematic) is worth a million words!

Thanks High Gain. That was an awesome diagram. I added two Fiamm's that I shoe horned into the front body cowling and I also wired the stock horn back into mix ...cuz you know what they say ..."three horns are better than two!"

Back