help wiring a relay for air horn mod?

Schism

Donating Member
Registered
does anyone know how to hook up a relay for an air horn mod on the "bus" ? i tried ice, but he hasn't wrote back yet. i bought a "blaster air horn" kit for my 01' busa and i can't figure out how the relay should be rigged. there are 2 wires coming from the oem horn (black & off white) when i tested the 2 of them, the black & off white wire remained hot and when i press the trigger, the off white wire goes cold. my compressor has a pos and neg connection as well. i think the compressor pos should connect to 87 (top) and the horn pos (unsure which one it is) should connect to 86 (left) which leaves me left w/ the horn neg and the compressor neg and only 85 (right) on the relay left over. would this prong be my ground? should i tie the 2 together? which wire should i tie a 20 amp inline fuse with? thanks
nick
1zhelp.gif

i'm all set! figured it out after a few hours. for anyone who wants to do the air horn mod. and has trouble w/ the relay.

87 is the compressor pos
86 is the off white wire which is hot (oem)
30 is pos line from batt. w/ a 20 amp in line fuse
85 is the black wire (oem)
lastly, run from neg batt. to neg compressor

speedmon- i'm not exactly sure why i need the relay but that is what i was told. i'm not sure how to do the sound clip.

my air horn works fine without a relay, what will i gain by using one??
The horn circuit is a low load circuit, I forget the actual load it will handle. Most air horns draw more power than the circuit is designed to handle. Ising the relay, you keep the load of the compressor off of the horn circuit which only needs to carry the load of the relay coil.

The horn circuit is a low load circuit, I forget the actual load it will handle.  Most air horns draw more power than the circuit is designed to handle.  Ising the relay, you keep the load of the compressor off of the horn circuit which only needs to carry the load of the relay coil.
that was exactly what i had heard from this board in the past. i was starting to second guess myself. thanks

The horn circuit is a low load circuit, I forget the actual load it will handle.  Most air horns draw more power than the circuit is designed to handle.  Ising the relay, you keep the load of the compressor off of the horn circuit which only needs to carry the load of the relay coil.
so am i harming my bike by using my air horn and not using a relay?

Back