Stripped the oil pan threads

scouser

Registered
Yup my first oil change went well, then on the second one it took a lot of force to remove the oil plug, when I put it back on the threads are stripped. I have not looked yet because it is a very slow leak, but I have to assume the steel bolt stripped the aluminum oil pan?? What is my best solution to fix this problem, I have never tapped new threads, and I think there are viton plugs that swell when you tighten down on them.
Thanks
Si
P.S. I am loving this bike, it is my first but what a great choice.

Not all that uncommon... It takes a specific torque to get the bolt on and not strip the threads out.

Have you done a search?

(I use the Opera browser and there is not search in it.
mad.gif
)

You can re-tap the pan, but I would check on ebay and see if you can find a new one. Better safe than sorry. The location of the oil plug does not allow for error. If the oil comes out...it only has one place to go...and that would not be pretty!!

Quick Drain oil plugs rule peep out fram for 1 not sure what size the busa would take but I put 1 on my jetta a few years ago and forgetaboutit no more worries over strippin the pan

Some say you can use a self taping oil pan bolt and it will bring the metal pieces out on its threads.

oto.jpg

hmmm, thanks for the input. I like the idea of the self tapping plug it just doubt it would work that well. The quick remove plugs I thought may be an option I just have to wonder why only one person suggested them. As lastly do I want to pull the oil pan out of a bike that is 2 months old, no. Plus it looks like a big job to get it out. I am wondering if I can get away with the quick remove plug till winter and then see about pulling the pan, anyone have a clue how much one of those costs?
Lastly no I did not use the search function because I only just found it, my bad!

Back