Strange noise from Engine

bikerboy_ie

Registered
Had my Busa up around 190mph on the clock the other day while out on a ride. A couple of miles later I noticed a strange knocking/grating noise coming from the engine, i think maybe from the right hand side. it's very very feint up ntil about 2500 rpm but get increasingly louder the more throttle you give it. The bike starts fine, drives fine. It's not over heating and there's no black smoke from the exhaust. Has anybody got any ideas. Somebody said that i might have blown a piston.

It sounds like a valve floated,or you lost a rod bearing...drain oil and look for gold...

It's not a piston .

Run a oil pressure check if the bottom of the clean oil pan you drain the oil in is not metallic looking

What oil was in it and how many miles on the oil . Filter same . Was oil level middle or below middle of the sight glass ?

Ever had to replace a blown clutch ? If so , oil pick-up could of been clogged at hi-rpm

(bikerboy_ie @ Mar. 26 2007,16:22) If I don't find any what else might it be?
Aside from my last post run a compression check and possible bent valve but you say it runs fine . Speaking of , the less you run it the less further costly potential damage

Would this be a 2001 or earlier model ?

Starter work fine without noises ?

ya, it's a 2000 model. Sometimes it hesitates a little bit when you try to start. Like when you press the starter button nothing happens. maybe on the 2nd or 3rd go it starts up. not sure about the bike or its history as I only bought it last week from some guy. He did tell me that it went over on its right side before. He told me it was a low speed fall but i'm not sure. The mirror was replaced, the fairing was fixed and sprayed as well as the rear end all on the right side and i'm pretty sure the tank was replaced as it is a slightly lighter colour blue

It sounds like you could have a set of lower engine bearings going out. It's hard to say without hearing it thoug.

Just emptied the oil and no sign of metal bits or flakes. What I did find was that there was only 1 Litre of oil in the bike! What damage could this have caused? Also should the oil sump bolt have a washer as mine had none and I could not tighten the bolt, it just kept going around and around

See how it goes
beerchug.gif

ONLY 1 litre...that can't be good. I usually put in a full 4 QTs after a thorough draining.

Common screw up on the drain bolt is people over tighten it and strip the threading then have to have it re-tapped. If yours is stripped you'll need to have this done.

(bikerboy_ie @ Mar. 28 2007,17:08) just topped up the oil and the noise has disappeared. Should i still have the engine checked or will i see how it goes?
Can't quote both posts .

You did not have enough oil in it to drain/flush all what might be caught in the engine .

I would post oil viscosity and brand and then I'll give you more info on what will happen to the oil but .....

Don't go for another hi-speed blast until the oil pressure is verified per manual. You don't want that engine spitting a rod at 150+ mph .

Thats my opinion of a potential serious consequence if recommendation is taken lightly  . Locked engines or rear wheels running on top of oil ain't no fun .

Since the drain plug is stripped , now would be a good time to drop the pan and check the pick up screen as well .

have brought my bike to 4 different dealers and they all reckon i would probably need a new engine engine, so if anybody knows of 1 going at a reasonable price then let me know

(bikerboy_ie @ Mar. 28 2007,05:56) "Just emptied the oil and no sign of metal bits or flakes. What I did find was that there was only 1 Litre of oil in the bike!"
Just in case other listers can't figure it out, CHECK THE OIL prior to 190mph runs =0)

Back