More engine noise...

Curt

Registered
i have an 99 busa with 55,500km/s

i'm the third owner, and as long as i've had the bike i've heard a noise in the engine. and its still there, and now as the bike gets older and more and more miles are put on, i'm starting to worry about the noise.

its tough to describe, but its best heard at idle, and it seems to be coming from the lower part of the engine, tho its hard to tell.

my latest theory is that its possibly the balance shaft, as i read that this could make noise if dialed in or out a lil too much. however i have a bad feeling deep down that it may possibly be a big end bearing that's wearing and getting loose on the crank.

my valves tick quite a bit and the bike will need new shims, which i'll probably put in this year. perhaps that is making the bike run a lil rough and causing a lil noise in the engine?

occasionally when starting the engine when its cold, i'll put the choke on, hit the starter, and then engine will fire up and rev at about 1500 rpm, then there will be a bit of a clunk as the engine seems to be getting better compression or something and rpm will increase til it hits about 3500, then i turn it down to 2000 and let it run til warm. this isn't a huge clunk mind you, actually more of a knock (ie:from detonation, to describe the sound). but any noise makes me leery.

note: these are two seperate noises i've explained here, but may or may not be related as they're both coming from the same area, but different times, scenarios.

FYI: 99 busa, 55500km, 91 octane, full synthetic oil every 5000 km, no mods, bought at 21000km, no dealer service since then
down.gif
(my dealer sux), bike was drag raced about 30 times back in the 30000's, and went to the track 5 times in the 40000's.
all power is there that should be expected at 55000km, runs smooth as butter, and is now retired from racing and being babied.

post any ideas or questions please
thanks
curt

Back