Stone guards for radiator & oil cooler... needed or not ??

snapperhead

Registered
Im thinking of making some up and I would like to know if you lot think they do save your coolers ??????? And also what types of mesh you think are the best. Any experiences with random stones in vital spots would be usefull. Thanks in advance

Roads around here seem to have lots of patches of gravel and Im wondering if Im going to put holes in the coolers.

Don't know how your roads are, but maybe designing a fender extension of some sort would be easier if your running through a lot of stones. Any type of grille would need to be open enough as to not restrict the flow of air for cooling and stones could still possibly make it through the openings.

I have cox racing guards that I purchased through streetntrack. Seemed like cheap insurance.

cheers
ken

I had a Cox guard on my gen 1. For extra measure I placed a sheet of bmc foam between the stock and cox guards.

No bugs or little stones reside in the cooler weaving - they wash right off after removing the air filter material. OTOH - may be overkill but I liked it.

Some great ideas there, thank you. Its good to see no one so far has had the misfortune of a stone through the oil cooler.

Some great ideas there, thank you. Its good to see no one so far has had the misfortune of a stone through the oil cooler.

I holed both a Busa and a B-King rad.
Also smashed a few indicators and got various dents and dings.
Mine all seem to be chasing sportsbikes, not from my own stones.
All on good roads not rough tracks.

B-King
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

All my bike now have some form of guard.
The Busa and B-King both have nice big chunky guards,
I like them but some folk dont.

(and NO, the temp is no higher, even on the hottest Aussie day)
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

If you ride hard enough, and far enough on group rides,
I consider them "must have's".
Maybe not for the blinged up coffee club show pony's.

Seen the same in the UK as well as Australia so I dont think its just me.

Last edited:
Tony, did you make or purchase your guards??

I bought mine. They are made here in Australia.
Not everyone likes them as they are a bit "Chunky".
I dont think the exchange rate is not good for you at the momment?
Rad Guard : - SHOP Motorcycle Radiator Guards Australia. - Rad Guard Australia

A lot of the local guys make their own.
They use over the counter mesh from either a car shop or from
home security "Crim-safe" mesh doors type and just put edging
trim around it and fix with a couple of descrete zip ties / cable ties.

Thanks for the info. Had a rock shut me down this summer. I need to do this mod before next summer.:thumbsup:

Im convinced that its a must do now. Just been out on a stinking hot day with the tarseal melting on some corners, lots of loose gravel too. tyres were spitting stones every which way.

Thanks for the tips and pics Tony, I will be making some similar to those, and adding a fender extender.

Does anybody have pics of the radiator guards on a Gen II by any chance? I got mine last night and just wondering if I have to tuck it in behing the plastic. I'm talking about the plastic piece in front of the oil cooler. ???

I have the cox upper on my Gen 2 I just put it on 2 days ago Got it off Amazon ..here's some pics
you cant even see it on the bike because I got black.Go look up the price of a radiator and you will get the Cox...lol

0214145556.jpg

0214145449.jpg

0214145440.jpg

Thumbs up for the Rad Guard product. I've had a friend who had a rock through the oil cooler and another one got a rock through the water radiator and it was a bugger to get them back to town for repairs. I've had the Rad Guard on my last three bikes and have seen marks where rocks have hit so they have saved me from damage. Wouldn't go without one now, the black ones seem to meld in with the rest of the black in that area so aren't that obvious.

Back