Does the oil cooler have to move to install headers?

Just want to post up a few pics from last January when I was putting my new pipes on...bike just finished painting this week and will start to reassemble...it is going to be beautiful (only a dad can love his ugle duck, right?)

It's all a little intimidating when you aren't a mechanic..but trust me...you can do it...take your time ...go to Harbor Freight and spend 20 dollars are so and get some decent tools and "have at it" ...you'll learn a new skill set and feel emboldened enough to really pouch something the next time...:rofl:

bike paint under skins 01-09-10 022.jpg

bike paint under skins 01-09-10 023.jpg

i left the lines connected and dropped both, put cardboard over them to protect the finns and everything slipped in easily..(brocks AH)

2hip, how did you get so much room?

I disconnected everything and had only an inch or two. It looks like you have 3-4 inches easy. Did the front fender change on the K8? Maybe?

I am currently installing a header and D & D exhaust on my bike and i found that if you are working by yourself on the garage floor it may be a good idea to change all the fluids while you are at it.

Here is what i did step by step:

1. Remove Fairings
2. Drain Radiator fluid & Oil
3. Unplug Radiator and Fan connection
4. Remove oil cooler
5. Remove Filter
6. Remove Header (Remove pipes before you removing the headers) One bolt holding in the headers near the belly pan.

Install:

New oil filter
Headers
Oil Cooler
Radiator

And you are good to go. i searched on here and got tons of information. I just found it too difficult and cumbersome to do it all by myself on the garage floor with the oil cooler and the radiator in the way. I will try to get some pics when i get a chance......o i did this work on the bike for the first time take your time and dont force any thing you will be good to go......:welcome:

Back