Stock trading..

LadyHawk

w00t!!
Donating Member
Registered
I've seen many people here at work make some nice chunks of money from buying and selling stock. And I wish I knew more about it. I mean, I get the buy low, sell high thing. But where can you find a company to watch? Or how can you tell when a certain stock is gonna be a good one?

Anyone got any advice? websites? So that maybe a poor-white-trash-girl could learn how to make some money and pay off her Busa?
laugh.gif

I do - both options and stocks.

I wish there was a way to tell that a company is gonna be a good one; it's more about percentages between winners and losers, and having a strict discipline in terms of what you will buy and when you'll take winnings or cut losses. Emotions typically get in the way. It's a lot of work.

If you want to read about different approaches to trading, check out the "Market Wizards" books, which are interviews with currency, option, stock, commodity etc. traders (all tops in their field) and looking at their approach. They're all very different (some do a ton of research, some go by "gut") but all have a LOT of discipline. Most of them have been wiped out at least once. (!)

A good understanding of economics goes a long way - understanding the correlations between the job market, home building, the gold market, etc. etc. etc. can help show general trends - what will be bullish or bearish for banks, or metals, or tech and so on...

The one guarantee I can give you: you WILL lose money. You'll also make it - again, it's the percentage of winners to losers that matters in the end. Anyone who tells you otherwise (there are a LOT of "trading systems" and self-promoting gurus that promise outrageous returns) is selling you snake oil. Think of it this way - there are far more guaranteed returns in selling a "system" to the masses than actually trading that system.

I have been able to make large companies go out of business by purchasing as little as three shares of their stock. One of my friends asked me to tell him what I was planning on buying so he could short the stock.

I've been invovled in the market (stocks, mutual funds, CD's, futures, bonds, etc) for 'bout 20 years. Over the long haul, I'm been VERY successful. My secret? I hired the BEST broker I know and put my faith and trust in him. Over this time he has made me 1000%+ more than I pay him. I'm happy!!!

Wall street journal really does have some decent info.

I'd just go with a Mutual fund heavy in the S&P 500. Sit on it for 10-15 years...
thumbs-up.gif

Back