Do I do it or not?

ditchdr

Registered
Ok so I am coming up with ways to make extra money so I can buy more bikes.. its sad I have to do it this way, but the wife and I share the bank account and anything I buy with that money ( my job her job or the shop) she has a say over. Hints the reason I had to sell the R6.

So I am thinking I will open a small lawn care business. I want no more then 18 customers. that will net me 450 a week. I have found a used ridding mower and push mower, as well a edger weed eater and blower for 500.00. I have a truck to haul everything in, already have gas cans, and print all the flyers I want for free..

I think 25.00 to get the lawn mowed, weed eated, edged and trash and clipping blow off is a good deal.

But do I invest the 500.00 and make it happen or not?

not only that it will be a great way to loose more weight lol. And my kid can go with me and ride around on the law mower with daddy.

I think 25 is kinda low depending on the size of the yard!!!! why not with 18 customers at $25 you would have it paid for in a week... and all the extra money from that can buy whatever you want for the bike:thumbsup:

I think it's a great idea. Even if you decide to scrap the idea in the near future I'm pretty confident you could get your money back by selling the equipment.

as long as you stay small to keep all your costs, overhead, and assets small. Do you need incurance and licensing in your area?

Been there, done that, might wanna ask like 25 a acre, we did that for years till a bigger company came in and bought us all out, but we did 25 a acre. and that in our area was a steal.

Your doing this to have more MONEY to spend on Bikes

Will you now have the TIME to spend on the Bikes

And as long as your equipment holds out you will be ok,

no insurance or licenses wont be needed around here. Where i live the biggest lawns are maybe 1/4 acre

Lol schedule will be tight but I hope this will work out

Mon-Fri work the real job 730 till 4
Tues Weds nights school 6 till 10
Mow lawns mon,wed,fri nights
Mow lawns all day saturday,
Sunday rest.

if it gets ot be to much I got a 15 year old across the street I can hire CHEAP

Is there a market for it in your area?

In a down economy are people going to pay to have their lawn cut or save money and do it themselves?

25x18=450 a week if everyone gets their grass cut every week. But that is gross not net. What about gas for the equipment? How much will that eat of your 450?

Last edited:
Is there a market for it in your area?

In a down economy are people going to pay to have their lawn cut or save money and do it themselves?

25x18=450 a week if everyone gets their grass cut every week. But that is gross not net. What about gas for the equipment? How much will that eat of your 450?

Good Point!

I say just get the wifey in check and spend whatever the hell you want too. :laugh::rofl:

(note to self, dont open this thread around wife)

A friend of mine started a lawn care business here last spring but gave it up before the season ended. There was so much competition that he had to keep lowering his prices until it wasnt worthwhile. He found that his customers were only interested in who was the cheapest and anyone that undercut his price got the job. Dont mean to be a downer but thats what happened. In fact, he still has two riding mowers and a couple of push mowers left at his house.

i'm only doing it as a part time thing. Pretty sure most larger places are charging 35 to 50 per lawn.

I would recommend looking into liability insurance, mowers can and do throw things out from time to time. There has been many a window broken from flying debris. One mishap could put you working for free for awhile to cover damages.

Also take into account by starting with a used mower there will be maintainence fees involved to keep the mowers going as well as expenses of gas, oil etc.

My boss just sold his mowing business last year, he bought a used business and ran it for several years, he was far from cheap but maint and expenses tended to eat most of his profits.

I have two other buddies that mow on the side as well and they claim the money is good but both say it takes up much of their free time. Have to take into account if you only have certain times to mow there will be times on those days when it will rain and you can't do it but it still has to get done somehow.

If you have thought it out well and are still up to the task I say go for it, you aren't making a huge investment so the benefit vs risk is very tollerable.

Good luck! I hope if you go for it that it works out to be what you want it to be.

Back