stock headlight bulb replacement/upgrade

Luvanicebum

Registered
Some states do not allow inspection with HID kits installed,
so just replacing the stock bulbs with Silverstar bulbs and adjusting the projection can
increase your vision at night a whole bunch.
The fastest, easiest way of replacing and adjusting the headlight is to remove the inner dash
panels, unbolt the instrument cluster panel and pull the cluster free from the
rubber grommets. this will allow you easy access to everything without swearing and throwing things.
laugh.gif

The top bulb is your low beam. This is the Silverstar H7
The bottom bulb is the high beam: Silverstar 9005

There's also a low cost kit made just for the Busa here:
http://www.tricktape.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=303
Never tried them, but for the price, might be worth it.

When you put these in, don't just pop em' in out of the package.
Wash your hands before you handle the bulbs and make sure to not touch ANY part of the glass.
Clean them with a q-tip and Rubbing alcohol and dry them off with a
lint free rag. Really check the entire bulb surface for any lint right down to the base. Gently blow off any lint or dust left.

Take the bike out at night with the inner panels off and cluster unbolted.
Just pop the guage cluster free to make adjustments using a ratchet to adjust the beam up or down.
When you're happy with the beam (and other drivers too), slap her back together.
Cleaning the bulbs will ensure you long bulb life....oh yeah and not hard dropping the front when doing wheelies.
winkold.gif

Good luck.

You know, I have huge hands (XXL gloves) and had no real problems putting the PIAA bulbs in mine through the bottom. No gauge cluster removal, just took the lower cover off, reached up in there (more room than a lot of stuff on cars believe me) and changed the bulbs. An 8mm wrench will fit on all of the 4 adjuster bolts with an amazing amount of room to turn even on the upper, tighter fit ones. Set the low beam in front of the house and went out in the country and pulled off the side of the road here and there to do the high beam adjust then go on to check out the results, do it again until it was where I wanted it.
IMHO not that hard of a job even with big hands.
ThumbsUp.gif

I do not recommend the tricktape 100 watt bulbs. They do melt your wiring harness over time. I never noticed it because the bulbs worked beautifully until I went in to do some cleanup inside the headlight housing to prepare for my day light bulbs. The headlight housing is melted pretty bad. The plastic that holds the bulb is horrible but the wiring that powers the bulb is fine and works without problems.

Just a fyi.

Back