Stock can mods

Just got finished doing this. 9 1/2 inch holes on the outlet. Man does she sound alot better. Gonna take her out tomorrow and really get the to see what she sounds like. Plan on doing the inlet side down the road. :thumbsup:

She'll really Rumble at 3k+ so keep that in mind when anyone decides to do this mod.Better to test drive it before you go all out in drilling. Hard to put the material back in there. :laugh:

Enjoy your ride with your new sound. I'm sure you will be happy. :thumbsup:

It sounds great so far. I almost had to take the wife to the bedroom when I first fired her up. Too bad kids were sril awake.:laugh:

i did this mod way back when and i still love it. killer sound and you get to keep those stock cans. :thumbsup:

Yeah, plan on doing that this summer when me and my brother do soome other stuff to her. Is there a gasket between the mid pipe and mufler, or metal to metal flanges?

Yeah there's a gasket but its reusable. Takes maybe 3-4 minutes to remove the cans. Place a pad or heavy towel or ? (I have some old furniture pads) underneath the side so if the can drops it won't get scratched. Three muffler bolts and one hanger bolt and then you can see how deep inside the first baffle plate is. You'll be enlarging the inlet into the baffle from the headers by five 1/2" holes, whatever that works out to be. I believe the sound is also a bit deeper with fourteen holes in each can. Breathes easier in, and out.

Sweet man, thanks for the info. I couldn't belaive the sound I got just from doing the rear. A guy at work has a 1200 Ninja with full muzzy exhaust, when I fire the mistress up, he was like damn!!!!!

Do the inlet first you will like it.I did the outlet along with the intet and wound up plugging the outlet hole's I drilled later.After I drilled the inlet I used a sharp prybar to make the inlet one big hole instead of just small hole's.That sounded pretty good.It still don't sound as good as the 2 bro's carbon's.:beerchug:

The area you drill on the inlet side pretty much looks the same. Only thing it is inset in a ways requiring the use of a long drill bit. When you have the muffler off you will understand. Lots of empty space before the baffle you will be drilling.

Is only 4 bolts to take the muffler off and see for yourself. Take off,peek,and then decide whether you want to spend the $10-15 on a drill bit. Lots are happy with just doing the outlet side.
I have both side done with no complaints. It doesn't annoy the neighbors,but is heard.

*Note-- Also done the marble mod. Block off plates are cheap,but since I wasn't worried about weigh it seemed pointless to install some where the marble yields the same Desired effect.

Have fun and good luck!

The links to the mod directions above are dead...could somebody please attach a link or list out the directions. I'm going to do this mod as soon as I know exactly what to do. Thank a lot...

Hey Guys.. I was reading this thread. Question.....

I have a HMF single side set-up. Can I do this mod to my can? Does this only really apply to Stock Can or can you basically do it to any set up without causing harm to the bike?

???

Hey Guys.. I was reading this thread. Question.....

I have a HMF single side set-up. Can I do this mod to my can? Does this only really apply to Stock Can or can you basically do it to any set up without causing harm to the bike?

???

Drill out the rivets. Take out some packing. Put back together with new rivets. Don't use to big of drill bit. Just a little oversize from the hole in the rivet on the muffler. Also making louder can take away from the deep rumble sound. However if you end up not liking how loud it has become,you can buy new packing.

Ok thanks Strife... I will think about it. I do like the sound of it now.. just didn't know if it could be improved....

Back