Stock can mods

Guys, how good does this actually sound. I have been told it sounds great and I have been told it sounds shitty. I want to do it but I don't want to be stuck with some shitty sounding pipes until I decide to buy more.

no i really like it, it sounds alot deeper at idle and lower rpms. and louder higher rpms.... everyone i hang out with said they liked the soind alot better than stock.... i would say go for it

I did the mod a few months ago.  Drilling the stock can adds bass to the exhaust note.  I still like the sound alot better than stock, and it isn't as loud as alot of the aftermarket exhausts.  I find overly loud pipes get annoying after a few hours in the saddle.

It will backfire when closing the throttle at high RPM and letting it power down.

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151544989 -->

I did mine yesterday. Sounds alot deeper at iddle. I havent heard it with someone else riding it by yet, but I have noticed that it will backfire when rolling off the throttle. Should I do the marble mod?

Instead of the nine hles in mine I cut away most of the metal like the guy who did the straight pipe through his. I also cut the tube down to the flat metal. It woke my sounds up alot. The bad thing is sometimes riding slow the deep tone gets inside you helmet kinda. It definately gets noticed more now.

Old thread,but Congrats for using the search function and keeping things easier for future searchers by not clogging up the search function.

Now to answer your question...
Yes you can drill through the nice shinny chrome cap,But it will be perceived to some as a Hack-Job. Especially on a Busa. My advice is buy a $20-30 Dremel or borrow one. You will find the Dremel has as many uses as an Hammer around the house.

1. Dremel cut the welds only on bolts with a cutting wheel. Don't go crazy here only take little bit off at time. Take your time.
2. Drill hole in plate underneath like showed previously in this thread. Amount of holes you drill is solely up to you. As long as you have material to put the chrome cap back on you fine. Drill equal amounts of holes between bolts. You can always put cap on and check the sound and decide if you want another set of holes. So start out with 1-2 holes between bolts.
3. Put it back together. Throw some loc-tite on the bolts you will be reusing. (TIP- Try to remember which bolt came from where. It will help lining up the cut parts and look cleaner)

Optional...
Remove the can and drill holes in other side. However you will need a really long Drill bit. I had a Stump bit(18" to 2' long) laying around and it worked great. Reason I saying you need long bit is because there is 9-12"'s between the inlet side of the can and the internal plate needing drilled. When you have the can off be sure to work with them on a towel or something similar so as not to scratch the can.

How does it sound with both as opposed to just the outlet side? That I can't tell you. They do have a nice sound to them though. Not regrets doing it.

Didn't notice any Gain in HP other then the illusion because of the smile I had when I rode her after doing this Mod. :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

I just did this mod this afternoon. Like everyone said, a little growl for a simple mod. Not overly loud, just a bit over stock. This will hold until I get a full exhaust.:laugh:

Anyone have any sound clips after drilling the holes? I want to do this mod, but would like to hear what it would sound like first.

I took this video this morning.....take in mind, this is a pretty crapy digital camera that has a movie clip feature, so the video and sounds aren't the greatest. Last night, I decided to add another hole between the bolts, so I now have three holes between each bolt. It sounds a little bit better. The video doesn't do justice, the video makes it sound stock-almost. In person, it sounds a little bit better. This is just to give you an idea badazgtp!

- I don't know why my video isn't showing up, if not use this
[URL="
can mod[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, it's weird. I looked at the youtube embed instructions too, and it doesn't work. Try the link I put underneath. Let me know...

Mine have a pretty deep rumble. I reinstalled the beauty cover on the ends but its only slightly louder w/o it. I drilled 9 1/2" holes in the end baffle and 5 1/2" holes in the front baffle using an extra long drill bit. I like the sound a lot. Ask the guys I rode with a couple weeks ago...they were all behind me so they should know...:poke::lol:

Awsome. Yeah, my plans are to start with the outlet, then move to the inlet side. Thanks for all the help.

Back