STILL BUSALESS! Please advice on center stand vs race stand

OB_Factory

Registered
valklex - I read several posts on the Pitbull stand over on Ranger's site. Because of the solid feedback on the Pitbull rear stand, I ordered one too.

I absolutely LOVE it! It's easy to put the bike on the stand by yourself and it's more stable than any center stand that I every had on a bike.

The Pitbull stand with spools and shipping was about $140. I believe that Turbo's price is about $80, plus shipping and the cost of the spools for the rear stand.

http://www.pit-bull.com/

Factory, I really appreciate your help. I'm going to get one. However, they list two of them: I assume we need the spool type, since you mention the word in your posting. Am I correct? And it doesn't look like it will be easy to do it by yourself (I don't want to crash my bike on my car: double wham!)
Tnanks!!
JC

I total agree with Factory. I have the same rear stand and it is all that he says it is. Make shore you order the spools with the stand because the bike dos not come with them. I think Pittbull has the spools but if thy don’t you can get them from Chaparral www.chaparral-racing.com or one of the part retailers.

Don't everbody laugh but I put a Suzuki centerstand on mine. yes you do lose clearance on the left and you do lose the small cowl just in front of the rear wheel. the stand is less than 100.00 dollars but takes 3 hours as per the instructions(I found a shortcut took about 45 minutes) You can drag it on hard cornering,but it sure is nice when you need to lube a chain or change a tire and great when the ground is wet. If all you want it for is in home use aftermarket racestand is what I would advise

Spools are about $16 for the pair. Make sure you get them. When I ordered them, they asked me what color - I of course ordered gold, however, I'm not crazy about the color now. I wish I'd gotten silver.

I asked the exact same question about getting the bike on the stand by myself!!! I think "jimp" is the one who who gave me a few ideas on Rangers site.

Go check out the topic "Pit bull stand" at rangers site, there are great instruction there!

http://server3.ezboard.com/bhayabusadiscussion

Best tip for getting used to putting the bike up and down from the stand is to secure the handel bars with tie downs to overhead garage rails or another secure source.

After a couple of days of practice, I don't even think twice about putting the bike on the stand. (I the handel that goes with the rear seat rather than the solo hump)

I went with the centrestand and glad I did, doesnt weigh anywhere near 15 lbs. Very practical for this sport touring bike.

I have both a Pit Bull track stand, and the Suzuki centerstand (bought later). The track stand is good (better for maintenance), but it's hard to take on the road with you. I do notice some lessened ground clearance, but I'm not an aggressive cornerer, so it doesn't matter much to me.

Hint: the shortcut implied earlier is probably similar to the one I discovered. Step back and realize how much one can move the exhaust system once one removes the mufflers from the pipes!

Question on the pit-bull: You mention to buy the spools, what are they suppose to attach to? I hope they don't have to be permanently attached to the bike. Pit-bull's website mentions two stands: Can't we use the one without the spools? (the pictures are too dark to appreciate detail).
Thanks people!!
JC

I read there is an optional center-stand for the busa. Does anybody recommend getting one? Or if the bike is going to look like crap, what race stand do you recommend? Do they work with the front wheel as well (when the time comes for tire change)?
I need to think of something else other than everybody got their stupid bike except me.
Thanks!

If I remember correctly there is an aftermarket center stand you can purchase and install on the 'busa. You would have to remove the fairing at the bottom of the bike next to the rear wheel.

Most, myself included, feel this detracts from the beauty of the 'busa. Far be it for me to sway your thinking though. Take the fairing off and judge for yourself. If you can live with it then the fairing is just an install away.

You can get the center stand thru suzuki. It'll cost ya over $100 bucs tho and as you know the fairing does go bye bye. Been looking at a pit stand myself but not sure which to get. I beleive they work for both frt and rear. More help on the subject please. Thanx

Center stand is out of the question now! Please advice on race stand brands and info where to buy them (do they fit front and rear?).

Valklex, definitely forget the Suzuki aftermarket centerstand. Its expensive, weighs around 10-15 pounds and costs you some ground clearance one side (left I believe).
I use an old Suzuki racestand from my GSXR1100 for my busa but the new ones from companies like PitBull are excellent.

Valklex, I bought a centerstand for my Busa as part of the original purchase. After about a month I decided to install it. One look at the MUCH longer peg feelers that come with it started the alarm bell ringing in my head. Obviously it reduces ground clearance quite a bit. As someone else said, it is quite heavy, also. Maybe not 10 or 15lb, but certainly not far below the former figure. That, combined with the hassle of screwing with the exhaust system and not being able to use the little belly fairing, plus having the ugly stand exposed for all to see,caused me to leave the stand in the bag. If I ever do a major trip, like coast to coast, I will put it on for the trip; otherwise the bag is a good place for it.
Most of the time I also leave the belly fairing off. It's cute but it gets in the way when I want to check, clean or lube my chain, or clean my rear wheel. When it's off I can use the mounting bracket to raise the rear wheel by putting a floor jack under the right edge. I raise it just enough to spin the wheel, and it doesn't seem to be any strain on the side stand which takes the strain from the other side. I wouldn't go very high, though because the strain would increase with height. It's by far the quickest method to be able to spin the rear wheel without a centerstand.
The belly fairing goes on when I feel like dressing the bike up.8=)

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 22 December 1999).]

If you look at the swing arm there are two threaded holes (no waiting :) )that the spools screw into. Yes, I have mine "permanetly" (on the bike full time) attached. No big deal. They don't weigh anything and besides that, they look like "Johnny Racer - Factory Rider"!

I like em!

One more for the OEM centerstand here (although Valklex - who started this off - has long since decided he doesn't want it).

As for ground/cornering-clearance, with my riding-style and weight and before touching the suspension's adjustments I already touched down both exhaust cans during break-in, but after "pumpin-up" the suspension and even since installing the centerstand WITH the long heroblobs/pegfeelers I've never ever touched anything down again although I use the OEM rear tire's complete width.

Thanks a lot for your input. It looks like firming up the suspension is the first thing to do to the bike. Thanks for the detailed info Factory, I was going to order the red spools, but I guess the silver ones will blend better with the bike.
JC

Let me add my experience. I bought the center stand and had it installed at my initial service. I did miss the aesthetics of the belly fairing, but enjoyed the convenience of the center stand. There is a built-in grab bar in an opening on the seat cowl and the Busa is very easy to lift up onto the center stand.

However, after my first track ride, in Sept., I decided to buy a race stand and take the center stand off out of fear that I would drag something next time I went to the track. (I had never dragged anything, and still have about 3/8-inch of unscrubbed rubber at the edge of my OEM rear tire. From the posts above, it sounds like I didn't need to worry and could have left it on.)

Removing the center stand was a big job. Much bigger than the shop led me to believe. Even with my mufflers removed, I couldn't get enough clearance to remove the two mounting bolts for the center stand until I completely unbolted my exhaust headers from the engine, which in turn required removing the fairing lowers both sides, unbolting the radiator to allow it to move forward and removing the fan from the radiator. After I finally realized I had to do that, it was fairly easy to do the rest. If installing the stand, I don't know how I would have been able to stretch the double spring enough to get it on without some kind of special tool. It took care of itself taking it off.

The center stand probably weighs about 8 lbs. I can't tell the difference without it, but I like having the belly fairing back on.

The big difference now is that I have to have someone around to help me get the bike on the race stand, which is not always possible. So checking the air pressure in the rear tire is a little more of a hassle now, as is lubing the chain.

Back