Steps for swapping front brake pads

BUSAFETT

Registered
I need to change my front brake pads, which are chirping at 1700 miles.. I've done pad changes on a car, and wondered what needs to be done differently for a bike.

I usually use a C-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper- Can that be applied with my cycle as well? If there's a scan of a manual that shows the required steps, please feel free to post that as well.

After reading up here on the site, looks like I'll be going with EBC HH pads- Just need to check out whether or not my local cycle shop has them.

Thanks in advance,

BUSAFETT

No room for c-clamps. I use the handle end of an adjustable wrench (flat and rounded edges) to lever the pistons in. Do one side/pad at a time, using the remaining pad as the lever point.

I couldn't believe how simple the pad replacement is: remove the shield over the pads, pull the pin holding the pads in place, and just pull the pads out (see first paragraph for rest).

-PR

BusaFett, manual recommends removing the caliper, but its not really necessary. You do not have to remove if replacing pads. Just make sure to check the pistons in the caliper for easy play, making sure they are not getting stuck once depressed then engaged.

Also, when switching to the EBC HH, there is a bedding in period of about 200 miles, so dont do any heavy unecessary braking in that time. Also, make sure to periodically check for any grooves or heavy discoloration on the rotors, for this might mean a piston is seized causing the pads to wear unevenly.

Change is very simple, shouldnt take u longer than an hour. Get the bike up off the ground in front, and once new pads are installed, make sure to spin the wheel to see if it rotates freely as it did with stock pads!

Chemist

Greetings,

Iam glad this post is up. I replaced pads with HH brand and they have around 80 to 100 miles on them. I just spread the pads enough to fit the caliper on the rotor.

The brakes work fine. Seems to be taking a while for the "new pad" rubbing to subside.

I also notice black residue on the rotors. All equal on both sides and rear. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Thank you in advance..

hogger...

118_1828.JPG

Back