Steering Stabilizer

NoFearSpear

Stop Looking!
Donating Member
Registered
The past few weeks my bike hasn't felt as stable in high speeds turns. Checking the bike I felt the steering stabilizer and could move it around a little bit, it felt loose. Could this be part of the problem? Please respond with any ideas you could have. Thanks, Richard
rock.gif

Richard, when you say it feels loose you mean it moves around or you mena you can move the handle bars from side to side two easily?

Both,,with my hand i can wiggle it some,,and when driving "over 80 or so" i dont feel safe on even sweeping turns.It's hard to explain.

If you take the upper inners off, do you notice any oil? Maybe take out the pannels and turn the handlebars - see if you have some kind of seepage or leaking...

Will do,,,still should i be able to move it with my hand? or should it be solid on bike?

I have posted this before but this is the answer for me.  Made right here in San Diego.  

GPR.png

(NoFearSpear @ May 06 2007,22:04) Will do,,,still should i be able to move it with my hand? or should it be solid on bike?
It will move up and down (turning around the bearing) but you are looking for how it actually affects the steering...

Instead of spending $$ on an after market steering stabilizer, I replaced the oil in mine with 80W gear oil. It is very stable at high speeds now and solid as a rock in hard corning.

Don

what kind of tire pressure do you run in your tires? This may sound like a dumb question but underinflated tires can make the bike fell loose too...

OEM damper does seem loose when mounted, it's normal. This one is tight when you grab it
wink.gif

P5070249.jpg

Everytime i cross something off my list,,a add two more! Will that work with my set up? Or need to go back to stock?

b917_12_1_.jpg

you'll always have to remove the top mount damper anytime you need to lift the tank... gets old quick. Try and find one that mounts back in the stock location.

Trip,
I had the same issue, GPR has extra spacers to make for the difference in your riser. Mine was 3/4", you can call GPR and order them if you decide to go that route.

Problem solved,,,front tire had a flat spot all around about 1 to 1.5 inch wide in center ,,when going into hard turn was feeling that lip,,new pp installed "thankx to rubber2burn"fixed it!! Feels solid again,,,still get'n the GPR a.s.a.p!

Back