Unstable Heavy In Turns

SSGT_B

Registered
Best way to describe is that the steering wants to fall in on itself when turning. Even low speed sweeping turns, I must counter steer. This should not be the case at 20-30 mph or any speed. The head bearings seem fine, tire has 36 psi. Sag is set at 28 front and rear. No damper however. I tried the refil and service but there is a loose “dead” spot in center that is not correct. Bike is lowered 1in f and rear. Any ideas? 06 Busa

28mm of sag is very firm.
You should be closer to 35mm for street riding, to soak up the bumps.
I run 30-32mm sag, but prefer a firm ride.
You also have a lowered stretch, so frame geometry and sag kinda go out the window.
The combination is hurting handling.
The firm fork is the biggest problem.
Couple that with no dampner, and there's your real problem.
As a result, the only real suspension you have at low speed is the tire, and 36 psi Is good.
Raise it, shorten it, get the sag closer to 35mm, and it'll handle awesome...but that isn't what you wanted to hear is it, lol.
Otherwise, a dampner and softer front sag will improve the issue.

Thanks. It just shedded some weight from the tail change and I had considered going back to stock height. Time for a re adjust. As for tires I run the diablo rosso 2

Tires aren't your problem.
If they were in horrible shape, or you had 50psi in the front, then sure.
The tip in, lean in, is also sped up from the rake/ 1" drop in the front.
With effectively little to no low speed suspension(from being too stiff), and with no dampner to slow bar movement, you now basically have bicycle handling.
Like taking your hands off of bicycle bars, once you get too slow, the steering is fast either direction, until you stop, grab the bars, or crash.

Front to rear sag needs to be close too.
shoot for 35mm front and rear.
3-4mm difference isn't going to hurt it either, but it's important that they are able to work together.
If the front is great and the rear is off, or vice versa, it'll never handle right.

Front to rear sag needs to be close too.
shoot for 35mm front and rear.
3-4mm difference isn't going to hurt it either, but it's important that they are able to work together.
If the front is great and the rear is off, or vice versa, it'll never handle right.
Excellent advice Six.
Couldn't have explained it better myself. :beerchug:

Well back to stock height now I remember why I lowered it. I’m short, lol. Even put the damper back on it. Still falls in turns. Have to set the sag here in the next few days and try again. I did notice however that my steering moves smoothly with tire off ground but it does center itself like it has a detent. I think this means I’ll be replacing bearings soon if correct. No other movement in steering or forks.

It does look really really high.

B0AF06E2-9FA7-41FC-AE25-E2B0910AB762.jpeg

Well back to stock height now I remember why I lowered it. I’m short, lol. Even put the damper back on it. Still falls in turns. Have to set the sag here in the next few days and try again. I did notice however that my steering moves smoothly with tire off ground but it does center itself like it has a detent. I think this means I’ll be replacing bearings soon if correct. No other movement in steering or forks.

Did you notice with the front wheel off the ground, if the dampner was providing any resistance at all?
It shouldn't be much, but still noticeable.

It's old, there's a good chance it's worn.

It provides very little. That’s why I took it off. Even did the 90w oil and it’s still minimal. Need to get a new one at some point.

Back