Unstable Heavy In Turns

What do you weigh ? The spring preload on the rear shock is near max preload .
I think c10 is on something here. I was 235 and OEM tail and had to crank the preload 2 full turns on the shock. Fast forward to now that I weight 195 and did my tail swap and I had to put my preload back to factory due to how stiff the rear felt after the weight loss both me and the bike had. Might not be perfect, it feels pretty good to me.

Not sure. I measured out the numbers and put them in the chart for the math and that’s what I came up with. Only thing I have not done as I believe it didn’t matter when measuring was adjust any dampening. Only set preload. Gonna go for a ride in a bit to see how it acts

Had forks done by racetech. Maybe I’m doing this wrong.
Rear
Lift tire off ground letting rear hang. Measure a-b. = L1. Set bike on ground pick up rear and let settle. Measure a-b. L3. Sit in bike measure a-b. L2. Adjust preload as nessacary.

Repeats for front. Am I doing this wrong?

Had forks done by racetech. Maybe I’m doing this wrong.
Rear
Lift tire off ground letting rear hang. Measure a-b. = L1. Set bike on ground pick up rear and let settle. Measure a-b. L3. Sit in bike measure a-b. L2. Adjust preload as nessacary.

Repeats for front. Am I doing this wrong?

A098D0EC-6BC7-4450-95E7-6AE5B569E2D0.jpeg

You need 2 people.
One to measure while you sit on it.
Compression and rebound need adjusted too, not just preload.

Had 2 people. Wife helped me. Does comp and rebound get set during the sag period? What do I set them at for pre adjustments, full soft?

Set them all fully clockwise, front and rear.
Compression and rebound are just that, the rate the spring compresses, and rebounds back.
Basically, you want to push down fast and hard on the forks and rear seat, while someone holds the bike upright.
You want the forks to go down smoothly, and snap back to their laden position(you on bike)as quickly as possible, without a double bounce at the top.
Sag is set like you are doing, but it's fine tuned on the road side.
With all settings fully clockwise, sit on it, go for a short cruise...it's going to handle awful.
Now, go 4-5 clicks counter clockwise on the rebound or compression on the forks.
Sit and/or ride again. Now do 4-5 clicks cc on whichever you didn't do.
You will feel a big difference, and 4-5 clicks cc is going to get you in the ball park.
For the rear, same thing, only try 12-15 clicks cc from full right/soft.
Playing with it like this should help you to get a good feel for what adjustments to make.
Forks too stiff over bumps, back off 1/2- 1 click on compression.
Rear shock feels lazy, not returning to ride heigth quickly, or feels like it floats around the top of the stroke, then add rebound.
One adjustment at a time will make it easier too.
You are just trying to make the suspension soak up the bumps, without transferring that motion to the bars and frame...which upsets the handling.
The suspension travel should be broken down into 3 parts.
How much it settles "sags" under your weight should be the bottom third, the middle third of the stroke should be where the suspension does most of it's work.
And the top third should be your like your over rev, the travel needed to soak up big bumps, potholes, etc.
I think if you play with it, you'll get frustrated, lol, then after enough clicks and it starts to get close to right, that you'll feel it, and know what you need to do.
If you search here for "Jinkster attacks suspension", it'll walk you through it.

Forgot all about jinksters thread. Thanks for the detailed explanation six! Starting to rain for the next few days so my testing will be a little later. To start however my for rebound was set at 4 clicks to full stiff. That’s as far as I’ve got today

Forgot all about jinksters thread. Thanks for the detailed explanation six! Starting to rain for the next few days so my testing will be a little later. To start however my for rebound was set at 4 clicks to full stiff. That’s as far as I’ve got today

Yes sir
I think you'll get it dialed right once you get some seat time.
Post up when you do.

Got a little seat time today. A few clicks here and there and she feels a bit better. Just fitted a gsxr 1K seat to the bike. Sits a lot lower that the stock seat. I can actually flat foot the bike now.

5535358D-4B11-49EC-A633-768EC2A09A38.jpeg

Back