steering damper

nice,did that years ago with my k1. there was a write up about it. i removed the screw on the damper and submerged it in my new weight oil and i believe just kept depressing the plunger slowly until there were few bubbles left. i did like the stiffness of it over stock and the mod. was cheap to do.

remove damper from bike, there is 1 screw on damper, remove it, then depress plunger back and forth to get old oil out. then put it in a vise hole facing up, by 75w-90 gear oil synthetic! or it will get very stiff in cold. bottle i bought has a tip on it so i cut tip opening little as possible.held it over hole,pushing it against oring. depressed plunger 15 or so time you will feel bottle suck in and out, then you will feel damper start working.make sure you go all the way in and out.pull damper rod all the way back and remove bottle,put screw back it. and test. all done .

There are some opposing views to increasing the oil viscosity from 5w to 90w.

And they are?............

To stiff is just as bad, maybe even worse than to soft.

Most guys have a tendency to set their adjustable dampers to stiff.

A stiff damper feels nice in the garage but when the once in a life time event occurs and it's really needed, a damper set to stiff will result in steering lock and the bikes ability to straighten itself out is totally eliminated.

By design, your busa will settle head shake without a damper at all. It's the violence a true tank slapper produces that the damper earns it's keep.

A misconception of the damper is it's ability to minimize head shake. Head shake is usually a product of poor geometry which is almost always a direct result of the operators suspension adjustments without proper guidance. Calming this suspension imbalance with an excessively stiff damper only compounds the underlying problem.

well in drag racing, i got first hand experience. when front wheel come down to hard and hit. if i did not have it straped at the time which acted like a damper. i would of went down. for road racing going fast and turning i would agree with you, leave it alone.its plenty.

Back