Starter Clutch??? Little help needed

RandyEicher

Registered
I know this has been covered several different ways, but my 02 Busa starter kicks back occasionally. How can I tell if the starter clutch is bad?
I'm mechanically inclined enough to take it apart, just not sure what I'm looking for once I get it apart. Also, if I need to replace it, how can I tell if it is the original one? I got a box of parts when I bought it and there is an old starter in there, so some starter work has happend. Not sure what thought.
Drop some knowledge, please.

Randy, I just had the same problem on my 02'. It was occasionally kicking back. First I tried replacing the starter motor with with my friends who has an 05' She stilled kicked back. So I went ahead and purchased the starter clutch for $240.00. Once I installed it the problem stopped. Expensive part.
Brad

Isn't kick-back caused by high compression/weak battery? when i rebuilt my race bike, i went 24v starting and never looked back... picked up a wrecked busa that i am currently putting back together and going to do the same thing.

I know this has been covered several different ways, but my 02 Busa starter kicks back occasionally. How can I tell if the starter clutch is bad?
I'm mechanically inclined enough to take it apart, just not sure what I'm looking for once I get it apart. Also, if I need to replace it, how can I tell if it is the original one? I got a box of parts when I bought it and there is an old starter in there, so some starter work has happend. Not sure what thought.
Drop some knowledge, please.
First thing is your motor stock? If your motor is stock have the battery checked in the bike,then have them check it outside the bike.If its new and fully charged then the problem is the starter.Pull the starter out and see if it turns freely if not REPLACE IT! That kick back starts with a bad starter motor and not fully charged battery. Another test to find out your starter is bad ride your bike till it gets hot ,shut it off and try to start it.If it doesn't want to start your starter is bad! But first things first check the battery!

Is it actually kicking back or is it slipping and catching or catching then slipping?
Remove the starter clutch,while holding it it should only turn in 1 direction,if it turns any in the other direction its bad.

Back