Starter Clutch Failure

I am writing from Cyprus. I am the official Suzuki mechanic for the area of Limassol. I am
MOTO-TASSOS (6 Larnakis street, 3021 Limassol, Cyprus)
Telephone: +357 25 33 80 25
Telefax: +357 25 33 74 79

The following bike came in
Chassis number JS1A1111200-113554
Engine number W701-143409
2002 model

800 km on the clock. Clutch-starter problems. The dealers advised that we change it, under warranty. We did.

1200 km on the clock. The bike came in again, same problem. The dealers advised we fit the "2003" kit. Before fitting the kit, I measured the crankshaft.
Permissible runout per Suzuki, 0.05 mm
Runout as I found it, 0.50 mm

I refused to fit the kit, because the bike would have the same problem again. The dealers claimed they contacted the factory, who said we should proceed and fit the kit, and that 0.50 mm runout was permissible.

In my (very long) experience with engines, a 0.50 mm runout on the crankshaft is NOT permissible. The dealers refuse to bring me in direct contact with the factory.

The bike is in my workshop for ANYONE to inspect. I have photos and engineers' testimonials about the crankshaft.

Please, tell your dealer: measure the crankshaft!!!

THANK YOU!!!

My 2001 BUSA's starter/starter clutch totaly fraged out on me. It's the sadest noise I have ever heard. So so should I call the Suzuki home office of the dealership to get this Service number?:mad:

Get the upgraded heavy duty starter that they put on the 2003 model...For a 1500cc busa well ....I have no idea of what will be strong enoug for that :blush:

fatsac, ive got a1507 in aCSR spec racer used to eat starters installed 03 stuff havent a problem since,also use abooster battery to crank THE MONSTER UP..good luck to ya

dont know if this helps much but ive been told from the busa drag boys down here that replacing the 8 guage wire with 4 guage from the battery to starter on both positive and negative sides and using a deep cycle battery solves the starter problem. also never try to start the bike on a low battery. i havent had time to do it myself. has anyone else tried this?

Back