Starter Clutch Failure

dezzy7

Registered
Ok 7k miles and the starter fails to disengage.... I went through and checked everything, as well as the busa boards, and came to the conclusion that it was symptomatic of the busa ---its one great failure.

I called suzuki America and they were pretty cool about it, evidently they are well aware of the problem. I also mentioned that I thought there was a recall on it and gave him the date I believed the recall was issued 12/10/02.

After a brief conversation he told me to take it to a suzuki dealer and talk to the service manager about it and issued me a service request number, which to give to the service manger. Since its out of warranty he said he couldn't promise that they would repair it free of charge but informed me that sometimes they provide a "Good Will" repair at no charge to the customer.

When promted he also mentioned that there was an upgraded starter and starter clutch for the "BEAST".

Lets hope the repair goes as smooth as the conversation went. I advise all of you who have not switched over to the heavier starter package to consider doing so. You never know where you might be when you starter knocks off. Mine went without much warning a couple of clanks and then nothing.. The only saving grace was that it was at the end of the Myrtle beach bike rally and i was about to load the bike on the trailer to head home... Its a ggod thing i wasn't on the road --- especially since I was planning a cross country trip to begin June 7.
sad.gif

I hate it, but better now than stuck in the middle of the desert trying to get a tow truck

A little known fact.

Bring your VIN number to your local Suzuki dealer and talk right to them.
They will(most of the time) GIVE you a complete 03 setup , that has addressed the problem!

Yeah i went by and talked to the service manager saturday, and gave him the service request # Suzuki America gave me. He told me to bring the bike in and they fix it. He explained to me that this is one of those problems everyone is aware of but doesn't address until something happens. Evidently Suzuki used two different types of materials and in the starter package and one was later determined to be inferior. But in the end Suzuki decided it would be cheaper to basically keep it hush hush and just fix the ones "reported" broken than issue a mass recall.... Honestly it kinda SUCKS BIGTIME... especially when you think it could happen anytime without warning... and to think I was about to head out on a coast to coast ride this weekend, now that gotta be rescheduled to who knows when.

Dezzy7,
If you don't mind my asking, can you tell me where you get your bike looked after? I bought my bike in Sanford, and work close to the dealership in Durham (Hwy 70), but those guys kind of give me the willies. At least some of the sales guys do. I haven't talked to any of their service guys.
Thanks.

Juggler I took my bike over to Stroud Honda suzuki in greensboro. I've never bought a bike at suzuki kawasaki of durham. They give me the willies to and everyone i've known that had any kind of service their only had it once... and then complained about the treatment. Based on my own experience in dealing /talking with them I thought I'd take it over to greensboro where they've always treated well wether i was shopping, browsing, or just looking around. I think its one of the most helpful dealerships in the area. and the service manager was really cool in regards to helping me weith this issue. He even said he try to run it as warranty to get the part in quicker.

Hey Dezzy7,

Can you give us all the details? I am just about out of warrantee and having no problems....YET. But if this is a really widespread problem I would like to get it fixed on their dime! It would help if you write down the exact procedure that worked for you so we don't have to recreate it. Like, do I have to "simulate" a starter failure? Or will they just knuckle under and fix it ahead of time??

THANKS

Once its completed i'll post all the details.... BUT THEY ARE ONLY REPLACING THE ONES THAT BREAK--- Its cheaper, that why they put out a notice instead of a recall. Then they would have had to replace them all before they broke. Basically they are playing the numbers game hoping that they can save a buck --- screw the customer if he breaks down in the middle of nowhere or has to change their plans because the starter failed with no notice. The other bike that was sitting in the shop beside mine was brand spanking new 2002 the guy got it home rode it over the weekend and the starter failed -- they were fixing it but can you imagine what kinda impression that'll leave?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

rock.gif

well guys i got bad news 4 u
sad.gif
,my busa has got 9k on the clock,and it's done exactly what dizzy has said).
suzuki are looking at the problem,but they cant find out why it's happened,all i know is im very lucky not to of broken the case or anything,but guys/gals be warned,when i pressed the starter it didnt sound very nice at all.
im going to phone them up later coz i think there trying to keep it hush hush from me
sad.gif
(.
there trying to say that the clutch plates where badly warn,and i dont think they are,coz the clutch has never slipped on me yet....(plz sombody get intoutch with me,let me know what else i can do) ty all i'll keep intoutch
sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

No problem Paula .....lololol j/k... Actually SUZUKI after talking to the dealer SUZUKI does know the cause. Defective or inferior material. The used 2 different mamunfacturers for the starter/gears. One was determined to be inferior thus creating a failure. They then decided it would be cheaper to replace the ones that failed than issue a general recall and have to replace them all... Call Suzuki-UK and mention the notice issued in the US on 12/10/02. I'll keep you posted on the progress of mine.

Alright finally got the official word..... SUZUKI AMERICA is redoing my starter for FREE even though its out of warranty and the parts were ordered last week, and should be in this week. Hope the BEAST will be back on the road by the weekend
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

ok so check this out..........My starter just failed hahah must have hexed my self. since i was reading all the info on the problem I go home and BAMMMM its toast... hahah oh well will be bringing her to the dealer

Hey before you take it to the dealer call Suzuki and get a SERVICE number.. That might make things go a lil easier...BTW what year is your bike?

Well Suzuki replaced mine with all of the up graded part about a month ago. I think I have put about 500 miles on the bike and it is starting to make the kick back sounds again.
pissed.gif
they had the bike for three weeks the first time and here I am again, I'm thinking about buy the parts from Schnitz. Anyone else had this problem? Or has anyone used the parts that Schnitz sells? Thanks Rick

Well Suzuki replaced mine with all of the up graded part about a month ago.  I think I have put about 500 miles on the bike and it is starting to make the kick back sounds again.
pissed.gif
 they had the bike for three weeks the first time and here I am again, I'm thinking about buy the parts from Schnitz.  Anyone else had this problem?  Or has anyone used the parts that Schnitz sells?  Thanks Rick
f### thats what im worried about...... once i get mine back i hope it is fine.. or im going to drop it off and %*%^$# the f### out of em

Still no answer from them yet! Ran my bike on the dyno today with a 30 shot dry system pulled 208.6 hp and 136tq pretty impressive going up to the 50 shot now!

Well after two days on the phone with Suzuki I just said the heck with it and tore into the starter system. They were to do a thorough inspection of the complete starter system according to the service bulleten. Well I did my own inspection and found the starter clutch assy gear was all galled up! So much for quality work!!!!!!! I put a new one and it is working great , I hope it holds up better then the last one. Maybe they found a new manufacture for them also! NOS is my friend!
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
drink.gif
drink.gif
drink.gif
drink.gif
jump9.gif

pissed.gif

pissed.gif

drink.gif

drink.gif