"Standard" Springfield M1A

I found one very similar up for auction but mine looks better...:

**HOLD** SMOF5183 - 17609 - U.S. RIFLE CALIBER .30 M1D (SNIPER’S) NICE! - Serial number 2904262 with SA 2-52 dated barrel. Drawing number is located on the top of the barrel and ends in 555, correct for the M1D, and NOT a regular barrel that has been altered with a bogus copy of a scope base cobbled on to it by Bubba’s Butchery shoppe. This is complete with correct original M84 sniper scope and mount. Scope seems to have a few droplets of oil on the internal lenses, but is usable as is. Correct MRT 2-52 dated leather cheek pad, laced in place although it does not have the screws installed. Arsenal dark greenish parkerized finish has about 98% remaining with bits of dried cosmoline in the corners. Bore gages 3 at the breech and 1 at the muzzle, and is excellent, bright and sharp, seemingly unused since rebuilt into the M1D configuration. Sharp circle P on the grip over traces of an earlier P. There is probably a rework cartouche under the cheek pad, but we prefer not to remove it to check. Stock has dark appearance from storage in cosmoline, with assorted minor storage and handling dings. Reportedly this is one of the SAMCO imports from the 1990s (from Norway or Israel, depending on which story you hear) but we did not detect any import marks, so I think it may be one of the early CMP “lottery” M1D rifles.

The M1D sniper rifles were ALL made by arsenal overhaul of standard rifles made by any of the four makers, and there is no “correct serial number range” for these. Although the M1D design was approved late in WW2, apparently none were actually made then, and the initial assembly was during the Korean war. Barrels made then (usually dated 10-51 through 3-53) continued to be used on M1D rifles assembled well into the 1960s. The M1D was used during Korea and well into the Vietnam war. These are probably the most affordable U.S. military sniper rifle available to collectors today, and likely to rapidly increase in price to match the escalating M1903A4 values in recent years. $2850.00 (View Picture)

smof5183.jpg

Ok gimme a little time.
House is quiet can think again.
Yes that one does not look as nice.

Robot all aplogies again.:bowdown: I call first dibbs on yours if and when you decide to sell...
Skydvr lets keep the rest thru PM to let the plane we hijacked get back on course.

Ok I am gonna give you the answer here because I stated wrong serial number range before. Without holding it in my hand and really going over it for a couple days...seriously no joke I only can tell you a littel about your gun. To do a proper eval on a rifle like that needs 2-3 days in hand.

Serial number on rec puts date of make between December 1943 and March 1943 not as stated above.
Drawing numbers on reciever are correct, as well as heat lot# is correct
Trigger housing is correct Type 3 small pad with correct drawing # as well as heat lot#
Bolt numbers are correct as well as heat lot # (made for ser# 550,000-3,200,000)
Barrel carries correct markings-
1st mark is proof mark, correct-
2nd mark-SA- maker and correct,
3rd arsenal remark and correct heat lot- upside down P- due to roll mark,
4th next two numbers date of manufacture-12-53(dec.1953),
5th mark acceptance stamp and correct although MD is diff to narrow down as to whos mark this is.
Rear sight-original sight was type 3 with lock bar that had rounded edges. However rifles that were later converted to M1D status also had rear sight updated to Type 4 post WWII style which yours has so it is correct for the configuration.
Lends credence to professional M1D build and not garage throw together.
OP Rod-Lot number designates this to be a Natl Match op rod made only in 1962 and used only on Natl Match rifles in 1963 OR DCM rifles that were WWII rifles converted into M1D status.
If your barrel does not have NM stamped on it above gas cyl than it is the latter a DCM rifle.
These rifles with only this lot# op rod were converted into M1Ds between 1970-1995.
Scope-correct late Type 84 Libby-Owens-Ford scope
Scope mount-correct style scope mount--original and correct will be if screw heads are countersunk---fake/not orig screw heads will not countersink and right side hole is drilled all the way thru. I cant tell from pics
Cheekpiece-Correct markings for era showing correct maker and correct style of date stamp.
Stock-AAS- Augusta Arsenal stamp(rework facility)
Stock- P serif no circle-arsenal inspection and or rework stamp. A P stamped high on grip inside a cirlce is original stamp.

Now that being said. Your gun has all characteristics of being an original DCM WWII M1D conversion. All #s are correct and where they are supposed to be BUT you have to realize that you can get any or all of these same # parts and put it together to create a fake M1D.
Do I think your gun is an actual gun converted by DCM from 1970-1995 into M1D status ?
YES.
The rear sight being correct for configuration but incorrect for serial number range tells me either a crafty faker was at work or it was done by DCM
The Augusta stamp is a facility that did supply DCM with all kinds of reworks as well as M1Ds.
The finish and look overall show a very good condition DCM WWII era M1D conversion rifle and I'll start the bids off at $250.00..:rofl:

Seriously without really holding it I cant tell. Even if I could hold it I could not tell.
It would take a very skilled eye to be able to tell.
All seems fine. All mill marks are intact so it seems no parts have been refinished. It may have been refinished it may not have. Just cuz a gun goes thru rework does not automatically call for refinish.

My guess on a good day at auction:

Early WWII serial # range which carries its own history
Later converted by DCM to M1D status by Augusta Arsenal

you could see 4-5k for that puppy maybe more.
If it aint that imp to you post it on Gunbroker with a $7500.00 reserve starting bid and see what kind of offers you get in email....They will come believe me.....they will come..You will get the usual 'you are crazy emails' but eventually you will get a serious offer on it from a collector with $.
.:thumbsup:

Robot again my apologies.

I also apologize to Robot; this is very informative thank you much Blanca! I will reserve my questions to PM in order to not hijack this any further.

I have reason to believe, from the collection it came from, this IF this IS a rework/fake, it was done over 30 years ago. The source this rifle came from is legit.

Back