sta-bil

My GF Ninja250 has original fuel in it`s tank for 2 years. Bike run like crap until I removed all fuel and refill with fresh. There is stabil in it`s tank now.

Just how long will gasoline last with out using a stabilizer?
Not sure if my situation was unique, but I have a 1969 Buick GS455 that sat without being cranked for 2 almost 3 years w/no fuel stabilizer and I rewired the starter and on the first turn of the key that 455 woke right up and that was a week ago and no issues. Runs as good as the day I stopped driving it.
Could it be the weather here in Hawaii?
Not sure. Just my .02 cents.
Aloha,
Scott

BTW-If I wanted to post pics of my '08 Busa as well as my other rides. How's that done?
easybutton.png
+1 on that.

My Corvette had 5 year old gas in it when I bought it (with dated proof of when it was last run).
It started and I drove it home with that gas in it. Sure it didn't run that great because it lost so much of its octane rating but it ran. The claims of 2 to 6 months I always read on these forums cracks me up no end.
laugh.gif

I started my snowblower last night for the first time since early last December. Removed the cap to see it still had 1/2 a tank, hit the starter button and it fired up within 3 seconds.

Amoco 93 does NOT go bad.. Its the cleanest fuel you can get ( at a gas station) .I have a 5 gal. can here on the shelf for 12 years checked it the other day and its still fine..No Stabil added

stabilizer = waste of money

My boat sat for 3years with a quarter tank of gas. Started within 8 seconds on the starter.

Using it in your bike that's siting for a few months............Do you use it in your lawnmower too? HAHAHA............SUCKERS!!!!

Gas does loose octane but it won't affect your bike from starting.

If your looking for top of the line performance, then drain your tank and refill with fresh gas.

Did you know when you buy high octane at the pump the first gallon you get is what the last person that filled up bought.

Alot of these items that are out there to help protect your investment really aren't needed and are a waste of money.

Save your money for beer
beerchug.gif

dont use stabil.. use sea foam has fuel stabilizer in it.. Never had a prob..also keeps the fuel system clean.. Just my .02

I have the fuel sitting in the can since I moved to TN. Been on the shelf since I got here in 96. I rotate my other dozen cans so that one sits...Kinda experimenting too. How long will it last? Probably until the can rust out.. I also have a 50 gal. tank off a rig that I keep full and rotate out with the cheaper fuel,In that one I use the Seafoam .It is good stuff. Y3K ready....

My boat sat for 3years with a quarter tank of gas. Started within 8 seconds on the starter.

Using it in your bike that's siting for a few months............Do you use it in your lawnmower too? HAHAHA............SUCKERS!!!!

If your looking for top of the line performance, then drain your tank and refill with fresh gas.

Did you know when you buy high octane at the pump the first gallon you get is what the last person that filled up bought.

Alot of these items that are out there to help protect your investment really aren't needed and are a waste of money.

Save your money for beer
beerchug.gif
I dont buy your story, sorry bro. Not believable. Quarter tank of gas for 3 years and it started right up? I'm callin
bs.gif
With a tank that low, it's gonna cause condesation build up. Which means a ton of wster in your tank.

A couple years ago, I got a dirt bike out after winter storage. Tried to start it up but no go. So I drained the tank and replaced with fresh and she started. Just for shids and giggles I poured the gas on the ground and tried to light it. Would not light. It lost all of its flammable properties. The gas was only 3 months old

A quick story about stabil.  I bought a generator in 1986, after my first hurricane.  I ran it every 6 months for the first two years.  I always put stabil in it for the last 10 minutes of run time to get it into the carburetor.
About 18 years later Rita hit us.  After the 2nd day back I new I needed electricity or go nuts.  I had lots of time on my hands so I went to my shop got the old generator and some tools out to work on it.  
Just before I took it apart I decided to try and start it, "what do I got to loose".  Any way it started on the 3rd pull and ran every day for the next 2 weeks, until I got power back.  I love the stuff!
I have to say I have never used it in my bike, it doesnt sit long enough to need it, but its in my 4 wheeler and all my mowers etc....

clap.gif

clap.gif

clap.gif
Same experience here, agree 100%.

clap.gif

clap.gif

Save your money for beer
beerchug.gif
I dont buy your story, sorry bro.  Not believable.  Quarter tank of gas for 3 years and it started right up?  I'm callin  
bs.gif
 With a tank that low, it's gonna cause condesation build up.  Which means a ton of wster in your tank.  

A couple years ago, I got a dirt bike out after winter storage.  Tried to start it up but no go.  So I drained the tank and replaced with fresh and she started.  Just for shids and giggles I poured the gas on the ground and tried to light it.  Would not light.  It lost all of its flammable properties.  The gas was only 3 months old
Let's see we have:

A buick that sat for 2 to 3 years..........STARTED
A corvette with 5 year old gas.........STARTED
A 5 gallon can sitting around for 12 years....STILL GOOD

And your calling my story unbelievable
pillepalle.gif

Let me guess.... your dirtbike............is it a two stroke?

If so a totally different issue.

And really, if gas only lasts 3 months, as in your situation......They better hurry up designing battery powered bikes

I'm comfortable with fuel stored for about a year. I've read an article from Amoco I belive that fuel CAN be stored for a year without issues. Fresh fuel just does not go bad in 2 months. But I only get gas at high volume stations to avoid the chance of getting old fuel.

Maybe the vehicles that are laying around had Amaco93 in them. It does not go bad. Yet I have seen regular fuel ( Like in my mowers ) go bad in 6 months. I think it has to do with the manufactures. Check our PICC report on the net or www.preignitioncc.com / everyone on this site should see it.. If I knew how to copy and paste , I would post the link.. Later ME

Save your money for beer
beerchug.gif
I dont buy your story, sorry bro.  Not believable.  Quarter tank of gas for 3 years and it started right up?  I'm callin  
bs.gif
 With a tank that low, it's gonna cause condesation build up.  Which means a ton of wster in your tank.  

A couple years ago, I got a dirt bike out after winter storage.  Tried to start it up but no go.  So I drained the tank and replaced with fresh and she started.  Just for shids and giggles I poured the gas on the ground and tried to light it.  Would not light.  It lost all of its flammable properties.  The gas was only 3 months old
If you want to believe gas spoils like a gallon of milk, keep beliving that and keep buying your snake oil.
On the other hand I'd highly suggest you NOT go around calling "BS" on members (which is just another way of calling us liars). Many of us speak from experience, have common sense and don't buy into advertising.
shutup.gif

I got a car in storage since 1991. It has about a quater tank of gas in it. I had it running in 2000 to move it. And a few years later to move it again. The gas has now turned to varnish and smells like it. It won't start now without fresh fuel. (priming the carb) I didn't need to prime it with fresh fuel in 2000. No condensation in the tank.

Lets see, the gas caps are vented one way to let air in as fuel is used. And also to cap the fuel tank so gas doesn't evaporate and create a fire hazzard/cause unnecessary HC emissions. Gas will keep some positive pressure due to it wanting to evaporate. So, where exaclty is all this moisture going to enter that gastank? Did you leave the gas cap off??

I've heard that the ethanol they are adding at +/- 10% is what can cause issues with gas, gas lines, etc.. I know it gummed up the idle jets on a few of my power toys that have been idle for a few months.
Hey, I'm no scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

Save your money for beer
beerchug.gif
bs.gif

If you want to believe gas spoils like a gallon of milk, keep beliving that and keep buying your snake oil.
On the other hand I'd highly suggest you NOT go around calling "BS" on members (which is just another way of calling us liars).  Many of us speak from experience, have common sense and don't buy into advertising.  
shutup.gif
Really dont give a shid what you "highly suggest" but I wasn't calling anyone a liar.  Just dont believe the boat story.  3 years on a boat motor w/ a quarter tank and it started right up?  Dont think so.

And your "speak from experience"  That's your experiences, not others'. Many others speak from experience that contradict what you're saying.  
winkold.gif
So you can take your "common sense" and keep doin your thing.  I'll keep being a naive retard and keep buying stabil like thousands of other people and when I need to start the bike, tractor, etc after they've sat for months on end I'll know that they will start w/out problems.

And btw, you have your "common sense" good for you.  My brother and step-dad are both employed at the refinery here, so I'll take their professional expertise on the matter over your common sense any day.
shutup.gif

Lemme guess, next you're gonna say that gas doesn't gel?
pillepalle.gif
Not w/ Sta bil it doesn't

shutup.gif

I've had gas stay fresh for several years in a sealed container, yet the very same gas will go stale in a few months in the carb of my ride on mower. (The "mower" is strictly used for snow blowing, hence it's stored during the summer. The mower's carb then requires disassembly and cleaning of the carb's gas shut off solenoid. I believe that the volume of stored gas, how full the container is, how well it's sealed and the ambient temperature are all factors in the rate at which the more volatile components of gas  evaporate causing spoilage.
To sum up;

gas volume is indirectly proportional to spoilage
container sealing efficiency is indirectly proportional to spoilage
ambient temperature is directly proportional to gas spoilage

hence;
Gas in a full tank in a car in a low temperature enviroment is not prone to spoilage and stabil in most likely not required, while gas stored in the small orifices of a carb or fuel injection system in a heated garage would be prone to spoilage and stabil would be a good idea.

cheers
ken

P.S. It's still a BAD idea to mix it with gin....

Save your money for beer
beerchug.gif
bs.gif

On the other hand I'd highly suggest you NOT go around calling "BS" on members (which is just another way of calling us liars).  Many of us speak from experience, have common sense and don't buy into advertising.  
shutup.gif
Really dont give a shid what you "highly suggest" but I wasn't calling anyone a liar.  Just dont believe the boat story.  3 years on a boat motor w/ a quarter tank and it started right up?  Dont think so.

And your "speak from experience"  That's your experiences, not others'. Many others speak from experience that contradict what you're saying.  
winkold.gif
So you can take your "common sense" and keep doin your thing.  I'll keep being a naive retard and keep buying stabil like thousands of other people and when I need to start the bike, tractor, etc after they've sat for months on end I'll know that they will start w/out problems.

And btw, you have your "common sense" good for you.  My brother and step-dad are both employed at the refinery here, so I'll take their professional expertise on the matter over your common sense any day.
shutup.gif

Lemme guess, next you're gonna say that gas doesn't gel?  
pillepalle.gif
 Not w/ Sta bil it doesn't
Ok..........First I'll clarify

The boat was a 2001 Welcraft 186ss w\volvo V6 30 gallon tank.

Dry docked, not sitting in, on or around water.

So what is the difference between this and the other stories?

If gas is that unstable there would be a stale gas recycling center on every corner. Maybe you should start one.

Think of all the classic cars and "BOATS" that haven't run in years. What's the first thing you do......bring a container to drain the old gas......... "NO" ........Let's see charge the battery....turn the key, use some starting fluid. Draining the fuel has always and will always be the last alternative to getting a motor running. Unless you can smell the gas as being stale.

Second, my daddy can fire your daddy cause he owns the refineries and his daddy was god and he created all the dinasaurs.  
jump9.gif

Turbo-torch
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Sambusa Theres someone like you on every board
corner2.png

shutup.gif

thumb_up.gif

Back