squeeky front brakes

jeebuss1

Registered
Fluid is fine. I have cleaned the entire brake assembly. Why are the brakes squeeking? It seems like they start when they get warmed up, just a few miles into a ride. The squeek will stop when brakes are applied. Pads have 1600 miles on them. Any Ideas?

Sounds like the the pads are chattering against the rotor(s). The squeal is actually high-frequency vibration; I fixed this problem on an older machine by drilling three small holes in the pad from the outside diameter to the inside diameter, the size of pencil leads and inserted same into the holes. Then lightly sand those down and the graphite from the leads lubed the rotor just enough to stop the squeak without affecting braking. Porsche used this technique years ago to stop their brakes from howling.....

put some brake lubricant or "anti squeel" i think some tubes say, on the back of the pads where the pistons make contact.

Oil them?
rock.gif

Mine started squealing last week, after swapping the front tire. Tried some anti-squeal and it helped a little but its still making noise. I might just go and buy some new pads. What are some good pads that stop better than stock, but don't leave a lot of brake dust? EBC? Hawk?

Back