Spun Rod Bearing

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Well if it's not one thing... it's another.

The bike was knocking the other night so I took her home and checked for anything obvious.

Found a few loose exhaust bolts, and tightened them up real well hopng it was an exhaust leak I was hearing.

No such luck...

It idles with no obvious sound anomolies (knocking, tapping, etc).

However, under a load it has a fairly loud tap / knocking sound.

I took it buy a buddy's shop and as soon as he heard it he said it sounded like a rod bearing.
sad.gif

A few weeks ago I had the head off.... everything in the valve-train looked jam-up!

So here I am.... a few weeks before Christmas and yet another problem...

Good thing I don't have 5 children (3 from my wife and I and two foster children) to play Santa for
1zhelp.gif
oh wait.... yes I do
sad.gif

QUESTIONS:

Is there a quick and relatively easy way to verify if it s a spun bearing or not?

What is this going to run me to get fixed?

<span style='color:Red'>What causes the motor to spin rod bearings?</span>

Anyone want to buy a Turbo Busa..... cheap?

sad.gif

Man, Im sorry for your luck dude. Until you tear it apart you won't know all the damage. What are lookin at gettin for your bike? One plus side whatever you replace you can go stronger in parts.
wink.gif

Is there a quick and relatively easy way to verify if it s a spun bearing or not?
pull the oil pan and look for shavings

What is this going to run me to get fixed?
a top end tear down,turbo removal-$700-1000

What causes the motor to spin rod bearings?
oil starvation,overreving,bad piston pin,bad valve timing,high cylinder pressure

just my thoughts

Anyone want to buy a Turbo Busa..... cheap?

<!--EDIT|GoldenChild
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133046257 -->

Dang Cecil, I feel for ya man. Can anything else go wrong?
I had thhis luck when I started drag racing my Nova. Went through three motors in one summer. I didn't have any friends or a life left cause I was always working on the damn car.

Rod bearing. Take a plug wire off one at a time and either rev the engine to where it's supposed to knock or ride it around the block at an rpm where you usually hear it knock. If it's a rod bearing it will go away when you get to the right cylinder. Could be the small end too Cecil. If the knock doesn't go away it's a main.
If it was in the valve train it will knock slowly cause the cam is turning half the rpm's of the crank.
good luck and Semper Fi brother.
Mad`

cut apart the oil filter....there is always plenty of evidence in the filter paper when you have a bearing failure

And stop running it, btw
tounge.gif

Oil starvation...

Running less than 4 full qts...

Cost???Have you looked at my rebuild list lately???At the least you'll need a crank, rods and gasket set and of course labor...I'm beefing mine up while she's down...

Did your oil light flicker???

<!--EDIT|STUNNAH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133170478 -->

That sucks Cecil. Hearing about turbo stories like this makes me not wanna go forced induction at all.

I seriously doubt it was caused by a low oil level unless he was doing mile long wheelies.

It's more likely to have been from a plugged up or restricted oil pickup (screen) tube. Or it could have easily happened if he is using a high volume oil pump gear.

I would suggest doing a leak down to see if you possibly blew a head gasket causing it to hydro lock that cyclinder. That will surely take out a rod bearing.

Save yourself a bunch of money by pulling the motor out yourself. It shouldn't take you much more then an hour to do that.

Call me if you need any help or advice........

Frank

He was told to lower the oil level and when he grabed the brakes he lost oil to the pickup,Nice who told you to lower the oil level?? And why?
rock.gif
If this wasnt the case disregard my post.

I seriously doubt it was caused by a low oil level unless he was doing mile long wheelies.

It's more likely to have been from a plugged up or restricted oil pickup (screen) tube. Or it could have easily happened if he is using a high volume oil pump gear.

I would suggest doing a leak down to see if you possibly blew a head gasket causing it to hydro lock that cyclinder. That will surely take out a rod bearing.

Save yourself a bunch of money by pulling the motor out yourself. It shouldn't take you much more then an hour to do that.

Call me if you need any help or advice........

Frank
Whats up Frank? Great to see you over here! Sorry Cecil.

cecil....we live right smack in the middle engine building heaven.
we have Falicon / R&D / MRE-suncoast and countles other capable shops all in the area.
Hell...it wouldn't be a stretch to say the at least a third of that racing communities engines have some parts or another passing through here.
Put her on ice...take your time and make her better than new.

Unless you like the look of the 07...then reconsider.
wink.gif

sad.gif
Pulled the pan off to find it full of metal shavings.... some the size of "BB's"...
sad.gif

Will yank the motor out in a few days.

Anyone got a crank and a stock rod they will part with?

sad.gif

Back