Sprocket Trouble

Reaper337

Registered
I purchased a new JT rear sprocket about 4 months ago and already the teeth are trashed. I do a fair amount of hard accelerating but not in the sense of constantly popping wheelies or drag racing (yet). I mean i bought it for the track just haven't made it there yet. I did some research and found that while not the best or most expensive JT is a good affordable sprocket, but would this be caused by aggressive riding or poor metal quality?

This is my only chain drive bike so I lack much experience here...

They do look bent...send it back and you might save the chain from getting destroyed

If that is a JT Steel, YOU are the only thing that could cause that in 4 months!!You might as well buy a new chain as well. When you get your new chain and sprockets, get someone to show you how to properly set chain tension as well as cleaning and lubing the chain.

Steel or aluminum ? Is your bike stock or do you own a 400 RWHP monster ? My vortex aluminum looked kinda like that after 4K miles. Went with Vortex steel and cured my problem. If that is steel you are probably running that chain way, way to tight and I have to agree. You need to buy a new chain and set of sprockets. Hopefully you didn't damage the output shaft.

You didn't say you replaced the chain at the same time...how bad was your old sprocket?

My guess is your chain was stretched pretty good and helped ruin the new sprocket.

What is odd is normally a sprocket tooth will cup out, yours are slid down from the top which says other are right and the chain was probably too tight.

The bottom of the tooth is worn inside which in my opinion the chain was using at the rear portion of the sprocket. A lot of force was being used on the top of the tooth which is why I am going with both tight and stretched.

Live and learn I guess. The chain was not replaced with the sprocket as it should have been. After initial inspection it looked as though I could get a few more miles out of it as the chain is not really that old. looks like i will be reordering both now. Thanks for the insight!

:thumbsup: you got it.
there are some sponsors here that I have been able to get good deals on chain, sprocket, and you might as well check out the crush rubbers while your in there.

always try and replace your chain and sprockets together. that way they wear together better. proper adjustment (about an inch of slack while sitting on the bike). clean and lube it all the freakin time and they should last a good long while.

like you said "Live and learn.".

good luck in your chain and sprocket adventure.
:beerchug:

Back