sprocket/gearing question

02bluebusa

Registered
What size sprockets (front and rear) are you running with your built motors? currently I am running stock and wanted to know pro's and con's of changing or leaving stock gearing with a 1397?

You basically move the mph up or down in the rpm range.
Want to be quicker, (but lose a little top end)?
Go down one tooth on the front or up 2 or 3 on the rear.
Want to get more top end, (but be slower accelerating)?
Then go up one tooth on the front, or down a couple on the rear(you'll need the 1397's power to get the extra mph from taller gearing).
Stock gen1 is 17/40 and 112 chain links
Stock gen2 is 18/43 and 114 chain links
You can go up or down one tooth on the front, or up or down 2 or 3 on the rear.
As well as -1 and +3 combined or vice versa, all combinations will work with the stock chain or stock number of chain links(with aftermarket chain).
Still allowing enough room for adjustement.

I have a 1397cc...When my bike was 63" long I was trying to run the same gearing I ran when it was a 1299cc. 16/42... She liked too wheelie alot!! When I pushed he back to 68" it was the perfect gearing!! I bumped her too 16/45 but really didnt gain anything.. 1/8 mph goes up and 1/4 mph goes down. On nitrous right now I run 17/42.. I ran it at 68" and now 72".

We have 2 other 1397cc's at the shop... One is a nitrous bike non cut rail that 69" and the other is a non cut rail 63" bike. The 63" busa we have run 16/44 and 16/42.. Personally I think thats alittle too much gear for a 1397cc that short but.................both his bike put down 207whp/119wtq on pump gas and mine made 218whp/127wtq on ms109... Power and torque will also play a roll in what gearing you run.. We have a 1397cc that was built by another shop that made 189whp/107wtq.... That bike I would definitely run 16/42... i have ridden a 1299cc that made 197whp/107wtq with 16/44 gearing... It wasnt crazy wheelie happy but liked too carry the wheel alot.. Im a 210lb suited rider..

I guess the long and short of it is................

Whats the bike being used for? ie street riding,drag racing,street racing?
How long is the bike?
How much power she make?
How much do you weigh?

Good questions above ^^ I don't drag race. I just like to ride fast. I went 1 down in the front. Along with other mods. Bike is plenty fast for me.

Whats the bike being used for? ie street riding,drag racing,street racing?
How long is the bike?
How much power she make?
How much do you weigh?

Street riding
stretched 6 and lowered
power= don't remember/ going to put in on the dyno again soon
weight 200

Street riding
stretched 6 and lowered
weight 200

If you are going to street ride a 1397 motor . . .

Go with an 18 up front & a 39 rear !

You'll ride her alot more .

Red, *<(:{)-

On my gen I turbo I'm running 18/38 with a 6 over arm. Great for highway and fuel mileage is fantastic IF you do the speed limit.....:laugh:

Street riding
stretched 6 and lowered
weight 200

Everyone will have a different opinion.. when I street ride it consist of playing around.. I would run 17/40 or 17/42

There is an excel spreadsheet out there somewhere with all the stock Busa gearing already plugged in (sorry don't have the link). It is cool to plug in the different gear combos, max power, max RPM, to see what it does to the top speed. I am running 18T/40T for LSR and I may even go 19T/40T to try and bust 200MPH in the mile. Whatever you do, keep in mind that it will have some impact on your speedo reading. I put a Speedohealer on mine, but I gotta tell ya that is not perfect either.

There is an excel spreadsheet out there somewhere with all the stock Busa gearing already plugged in (sorry don't have the link). It is cool to plug in the different gear combos, max power, max RPM, to see what it does to the top speed. I am running 18T/40T for LSR and I may even go 19T/40T to try and bust 200MPH in the mile. Whatever you do, keep in mind that it will have some impact on your speedo reading. I put a Speedohealer on mine, but I gotta tell ya that is not perfect either.

By the way, for street riding I really like the 18T/40T combo. It's not as jumpy at lower RPM's and it lets you wind it out more at higher RPM's. 18T/39T sounds like a pretty good combo too!

I dont have a built motor but i was pondering my gearing set up on my gen1 for a long time. That gearing commander is nice but I wanted a first hand account of how the bike rides. After reading and researching for a while I decided to go with the 16/42 combo. I love it :thumbsup: made my busa come alive and it pulls sooo hard now that if feels like ive tapped into power that I didnt know it had before

I dont have a built motor but i was pondering my gearing set up on my gen1 for a long time. That gearing commander is nice but I wanted a first hand account of how the bike rides. After reading and researching for a while I decided to go with the 16/42 combo. I love it :thumbsup: made my busa come alive and it pulls sooo hard now that if feels like ive tapped into power that I didnt know it had before

Good choice actually.

Back