Sprocket Change

linthade

Registered
Hi all, first post so wasn't sure where to put this question.

I have an '02 hayabusa, and am interested in changing my front sprocket.  I want more pull, less speed.  As I understand the cheaper way to accomplish this is to drop a tooth in the front.

Can anyone give me any idea on what sort of change I'd expect to see with this mod?  Is one tooth enough, not enough, or too much?  I don't want to make 1st gear completely unusable, but want more snap in 2nd & 3rd.

Thanks,
Dan

I started out going up 2 in the back and it was ok, so I dropped a tooth in the front and it was a huge change. I can roll on the throttle and it comes up in second gear, with stock gearing I had to get the rpms at 7000 and bounce it up. With a 16/42 it pulls hard and first gear takes some getting use to but I wouldn't say unusable. I hit the rev. lim. at 175mph and my speedo was off 19% with 16/42 gearing.

Sup buddy! I went 1 tooth down in the front. It made a bit of a difference, it definitely helped my launches alot. Instead of slipping the hell out of my clutch, I'm able to just pop it out and go. I also ride alot with my wife on the back, and going down 1 tooth really helped get us out of the hole quicker.

I know it sacrifices some top end, but who cares, you'll do 200 launches before you do 1 top end run, so it's worth it. I had place here in Tampa called R&R Performance install it, $20 for the sprocket, and about $25 in labor.

But, if you are going to do that, make sure you either a) disconnect your speedometer b) order the yellow box speedometer calibrator from http://www.blackrobotics.com/

Going 1 tooth down will seriously rack up fake miles on your bike, you'll go one mile, but your odometer will charge you 1.2 miles. So do it right and consider your depreciation. It's definitely worth it, and it'll save your clutch

Mike

I am still running stock gears so I can't help but Welcome to the board.
Jim

16/42...It's that simple...
muscle.gif

and then back to stock for long trips... don't want her to be at 5000rpms for too long of a duration.
biggrin.gif

Back