Sprocet changes

verizonmike

Registered
I was wondering what other people have done to there sprocets. I was told if you go down 1 tooth on the front it realy makes it torky. but I was then told if added 2 teeth two the rear I wouldnt lose the top end . does this sound right. any sugestions?
ernaehrung004.gif

That sounds right to me. I've been considering sprocket changes but want to hear more feedback before i do anything. But I did hear that doing it can put a large dent in fuel economy.

Viking

it affects the final drive ratio..kinda like a ring and pinion gear does in a car

like now i have 3.08 gears..
if i went to 3.42's id have less top end...put a hurt in mgh (lol i get 7 anyway!!) however it would get me off the line quicker!

3.73's is what im gona go with. it will have me goin about 1110 or so at around 6200 rpm. i dont like to take her much past that in gear lol.
gas milage will be a thing of the past hehe. but i'll be able to sure get off the line in a hurry

i duno how they rate bike sprokets though..buti ask you this

is 2.2 0-60 mph not fast enough???
biggrin.gif

hehe
i know some guys are all about goin really fast on the top end that go to this site, but if ur not into it ,you might as well take advantage of the power and get a sproket combo more suited for acceleration

withstupid.gif
i've put a 1 tooth smaller sprocket on my busa on the front. it has made a noticeable increase in low end performance. the gas mileage has not decreased noticeably either.
think of it this way, the top end on the 2nd fastest bike is about 178 mph. well, the busa with the 16 tooth front sprocket is still faster.
not to mention increasing the rear sprocket by 2 teeth will probably mean lengthening the chain by at least a link. so now you have the added wieght of chain and larger sprocket. i'd say put the power where you can use it everyday, low to mid. how often do you top out a busa anyway?

I have tried 17/40
14/39
16/41
18/40

Best for me is 18/41 with 171hp now 187 hp Plenty of bottom unless you are dragging at the strip, plenty of top (by my calculations) end over 203mph, although I have only been up to 189 so far.

:think of it this way, the top end on the 2nd fastest bike is about 178 mph. well, the busa with the 16 tooth front sprocket is still faster.
not to mention increasing the rear sprocket by 2 teeth will probably mean lengthening the chain by at least a link. so now you have the added wieght of chain and larger sprocket. i'd say put the power where you can use it everyday, low to mid. how often do you top out a busa anyway?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think the ZX-12r is a bit faster than 178 but I do agree with you on dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket for improved exceleration...

1 down in the front will help but makes it a little harder to keep the font end down. It also will throw off the speedometer. 1 down in the front is about the same as 3 up in the rear. 1 down in front works great for the street.
aktion035.gif

I guess it depends on the hp with my gearing @ 18/41 I can still smoke the tires or keep it in the air 1-3. The top end should get me to 203 with my weight of 205.

17/40=2.358 final ratio
18/41=2.277 final ratio

aktion035.gif
I went 1 down in the front and 2 up in the rear. The bike pulls like a MONSTER. You can pull up the front at 60mph. The down side is your speedo is way off.
mad.gif

on your front sprocket is a washer with four arms sticking out. It uses that to sence your speed so i ground one off and it cut my speedometer by 25%. And if you don't like it you can buy a new washer cheap.

thumbs-up.gif

HEY FLASH GORDON WHAT IS YOUR FUEL MILEAGE (MPG) LIKE WITH THE 1 DOWN AND TWO UP ALSO WHAT IS YOUR BIKES RANGE COMPARED TO BEFORE, AND ONE MORE THING HOW FAR OFF IS YOUR SPEEDO NOW

FATDADDY111 THE NEXT FASTEST BIKE BEING THE KAW ZX12 IS CLOSER TO 182+ ON TOP TO CLOSE FOR COMFORT FOR ME

I heard more than one puppu putting a 15 on the bike, only to see it chewed to bits.

You guys can just buy a 'yellow box' from <a href=http://www.blackrobotics.com>Black Robotics</a> to fix your speedo error. I have one and it works great on my Busa. No wire cutting/splicing required.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

i put a 3 tooth smaller sprocet on the front WOW!!!!!!!!!! this thing is a monster. it will break ith tire loose at 100 mph
hitting all 6 gears through the quarter LOVE IT

biggrin.gif

I wouldn't do more than one tooth down on the front. Add to the rear, too much on the front will cause some damage!
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I've been running 15 up front for some time now (6 months) and never have the first problem. I take it to the track once a month and run a M/T dot tire and no problem. Too many people run on want there buddy's buddy said happed to one of there buddy's if you know what I mean. Dropping 2 up front is where its at but you better have it slamed and hang the f$#@ on. To be honest, I run with a ZX12 all the time and can still pull on him up past 160. The speedo is off so much for the stock gearing its not even funny (I've seen 210 with stock spockets and we all know that stock topped out at 194-196). Go with what feels right to you. Buy them both, they are only 20 something dollars right.

One more thing, if you care so much about gas milage buy 600. You don't build a 900 horsepower mustang for gas milage right.

Back