Sportec m3 tire (my disappointment)

my68camaro

Registered
Anyone else use the sportec m3 tires only to be disappointed? I put a new set on my bike in early june when my bike had 20,x??k miles and now at 23.5k I am starting to show cords. BEFORE I START GETTING FLAMED FOR DOING BURNOUTS I will tell you I DO NOT DO BURNOUTS my busa is my daily driver from june thru november and with a family of 5 to support I really cant afford to burn through tires. I will say I love how they feel in the corners im just disappointed in how few miles they lasted me. I was hoping for atleast 1 riding season.

So anyone reccomend a tire that will last a few more miles than these?

3.5K on a tire like that is not too bad. Not too familiar with Metzelers but judging by their sales description they were made to handle corners not to tour. I always do a good bit of research on tires beforehand and then get some 1st hand references before I buy.

How many miles are you expecting to get out of a set of tires?

I would like to see atleast 5k+

I bought them because I got a good deal on them the only thing cheaper was a set of shinkos your absolutely right I should have done some research but money is short and they got me on the road

so any suggestions? how about michilin pilot powers? or dunlop qualifiers?

I run the Sportec also. You're getting the same mileage i am out of mine...3k to 3.5k on the rear and 6k to 7k outta the front. I've used the Avon Venom tires on the bike before gettin 6k out of the rear and 10k out of the front. The confidence level in them just wasnt the same tho...just felt like they wanted to push you right through the turns. Unfortunately you have to give up one thing to gain another. The Pirelli Diablo is a good tire also...the mileage will be the same maybe a little better than the Metzlers but the price is much cheaper. Im stickin to my Sportecs tho...just my 2 cents!!!

I would like to see atleast 5k+

I bought them because I got a good deal on them the only thing cheaper was a set of shinkos your absolutely right I should have done some research but money is short and they got me on the road

so any suggestions? how about michilin pilot powers? or dunlop qualifiers?

Your probably looking at about the same mileage with the tires your looking at. The new qualifier 2 seams to wear pretty well for an aggressive street tire ... you might be able to squeeze 5K out of them if you ride reasonablely.

My qualifier 2's right now have about 7-800 miles of track days on them, which pretty much wore out the sides(good enough for street duty though) and so far another 200miles of Montana roads. They still seem to have a bit of life left in them and I'll post up when I manage to finish them off. I was thoroughly impressed with how much abuse they took from my liter bike on the race track.

How much of a tire pressure Nazi are you? Tire pressure has allot of influence on how long your tire is going to last. I run mine a little low for to improve handling.

If you want to stay in the realm of performance tires I would definetly give the Q2's a shot.

You can get 5k easy out of the avon storms. My rear was was just getting to the wear bars when I replaced them with Q-2s. The front is still fine and I kept it for future use when I go back to the storms.

I've had the Metzler M3's... I've gotten 6k outta the front and 3k outta the rear w/ some spirited riding. They aren't dual compound, so straight line riding for long periods won't help them.

Stickier Compound = Lower Life Span

I love my M3's. May try the M5's next.

Brakes and Tires are 2 things I'm scared to death of skimping on.

Used 2 sets of M3s.not a bad pair looking forward for the M5s.Using the K3 ractec now.Its superb:thumbsup:

i have used the
m1 6000 miles
bridgestone bt15 if i remember 2900 miles
m3 currently 3500 miles and still look pretty new
but im a metzler fan

Seems obvious it was the wrong tire for commuting. If you stick with touring tires, you will get a lot more miles.

As an alternative, you can get a spare rear rim from ebay. Put one wheel for commuting, and swap to another for a weekend fun.

Just did 6900 on this "Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 190/50ZR17". I prolly could have road till 7000 but I don't like to see "cord" as you say.
th_TirewareRearDunlopSportmaxRoadsmart.jpg

BIG PIC

I just got done putting on a little less than 11,500 miles, in 3 and a half weeks, on a set of the Michelin Pilot Road 2 and I probably still have enough left in them to last me the rest of our summer (in our neck-of-the-woods, we only have another 2 months left until we have to put the bikes away before that white crap starts falling form the sky). They handled well in the twisties and were great on the long hauls. I would highly recomend these tires for daily commutes... and even a little fun on weekends. :thumbsup:

Anyone else use the sportec m3 tires only to be disappointed? I put a new set on my bike in early june when my bike had 20,x??k miles and now at 23.5k I am starting to show cords. BEFORE I START GETTING FLAMED FOR DOING BURNOUTS I will tell you I DO NOT DO BURNOUTS my busa is my daily driver from june thru november and with a family of 5 to support I really cant afford to burn through tires. I will say I love how they feel in the corners im just disappointed in how few miles they lasted me. I was hoping for atleast 1 riding season.

So anyone reccomend a tire that will last a few more miles than these?

You picked the wrong rubber for distance.
Sportec M3's are meant for the track my69,
where they might get used up after 10-20 laps or even sooner.
You should go to the all rounder M5's.
However, for the riding you do,
you will find the Dunlop RoadSmart's, or the Bridgestones 023's perfectly suitable.
SportSmarts and M5's will also do an odd track day or two.
Power Pures and 2CT's will be OK as well.
O.

Back