Speedometer change

Plunk

Registered
I was considering changing my guage faceplates out when I redo the lighting and such in my instrument panel. I like the thought of going to the older style 220 guages. I'm not planning on hitting those speeds. It's more of a an intimidation thing for people gawking at my bike. Ok, so it's a poser thing... /shrug
biggrin.gif

I realize that it's not just as simple as swapping guages because then the needle would be way off. I'd like to keep it accurate. I've seen the speedo healer thing mentioned on here and sold on ebay. I'm just curious if there are multiple methods. I usually do my own work, but I'm a bit unfamiliar with the instrument panel. I've never been in there before.

I know there are some mod gurus out there who can probably answer this for me. Fire away guys.

Um Last time this came up I believe the answer was if you replace the whole board the speedo should still be as accurate as it ever was. It's a poser mod sure enough, but one that every 2001 and up owner has considered... Myself included. I dunno what my motivation is, I mean 90% of your bike folks are going to know that speedo doesn't = speed, and why do I want to impress the hapless dipsh*ts that believe that a speedo indicates a vehicles true top speed?

I dunno...For me I would just like seeing it there, 220MPH has only been on a few bikes speedo's, prolly just the 99-00 Busa in fact so maybe thats why.

I might consider just getting a gauge face with 220 on it, then a speedo healer. JohnyCheese had a definitive answer for this though.

By replacing the whole board you mean replacing the computer and everything? I guess I need to speak to Mr. Cheese. Thanks for the info Rev. I'm thinking on the same lines. It's just the novelty of having 220 on your guages.

No I think you would only have to change the instrument cluster and sending unit though I am not really sure. This will bump it back up and hopefully get you a real answer. Icemann might have some insight as well.

If i remember correctly if you change out the guage it willread properly or as proper as an uncorrected sppedo does

You can either change out the hole gauge cluster for a 220 cluster and it will be as close as the 185 gauge or.....you can just buy a 220 face gauge and yellow box and adjust it to read correctly.  (It will never read 100% correct but close.  The stock gauge is not accurate if you didn't know already).

If you go with the gauge face and yellow box you will be set for a gear change if you plan to re-gear for the 1/4 mile, turbo, MPG, etc.!

Josh
blues.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071729736 -->

Hopefully this clears up my other post!

You don't need a new sending unit if you change the hole dash cluster.  It is just plug and play but your mileage won't be correct!

I recommend the 220 MPH gauge and yellow box if it was me.  It is very easy to install but the next problem is $$$$$.  

It is cheaper to buy aftermarket gauge faces than the factory ones.  The factory 220 cluster is $520 (NEW) or $200 (USED).  You probably don't want to do that because the odometer will never be correct. I could never find anyone to adjust the odometer on the Busa to read (your bikes) mileage if you go with a new/used cluster only GSXR-6/750/1k.

Aftermarket gauges are between $75-100.You can have custom ones made if you want with indi-gloo and the hole bit but......

I didn't like the way it looked in the day time.  So someone was nice enough to give me a factory stock gauge face and I just took the speedo apart and put that on my stock cluster.

Lots of options you just need to figure out what you want to do.  Try a search under gauge faces and see what comes up.  

See link for the yellowbox $110 shipped.  http://www.blackrobotics.com/yb_home.htm

Josh
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071730186 -->

Try this

If I remember right, this guy can adjust mileage.  I'm planning on going through him to get my guages redone.  I figure my best bet is to do this, swap the faceplate and then use a yellow box / speedo healer.  But the thing that excites me the most is the concept of having blue LCDs instead of that crappy orange.

<!--EDIT|Plunk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071734804 -->

I called them!

They can't do the Busa gauges yet, only GSXR-6/750/1k!

Let me know if you find someone that can do it. I have tried about everyone.

Josh
cool.gif

Hey guys, I may be wrong, but I'm in the middle of the 220 dial swap. I put the 220's on the '03 cluster, and installed a yellow box. *yes, I'm a poser too, or at least I like the look* I didn't finish until after dark, so I'm going to check it with a GPS tomorrow. Here's a couple of fact for you though: The "sending unit" is just a sensor that sends out a pulse generated when rotor on the front sprocket goes past a magnet in the senser. The yellow box translates these pulses by a percentage to "fool" the speedo into thinking that your going a different speed than you are. You can dial it plus or minus on the rate, so when you figure the difference in actual vs. indicated, you can set the box to compensate. Once the speed is accurate, the mileage is accurate too (per the instructions). The only question I have is whether the speed will start to be further and further off on each side of the speed that I calibrate. The reason this 'might' happen is that the speed gradations on the 220 guages are closer together that the stock ones. I'll know the answer tomorrow, so stay tuned. You'll also have to remove the stop pin on the original dial to fit the Indiglo guages on. I comes out with gentle persuasion with some needle nosed pliers.
Tell me about changing the light colors on the cluster. Can I change the color of the odometer and clock LCD's ? They will remain orange (or course) with the new guages, and they don't blend in too well.

Well I've looked high and low but can't find the blue LCDs in a kit. Plus I'm not sure that I trust myself to do that on my guage cluster. Check out that link I posted above. You pull the guage cluster out and mail if off to the guy that owns that site. He does all of the work himself. I believe we have other members on this board who have used him. I've read nothing but good about how fast and professional he is. I'm thinking it's worth trying. I'd love to have the blue LCDs.

Back