Speedo reads high, we all know that, but does the odometer also? Look inside to find out.

smithabusa

Site Sponsor
Registered
That sounds awfully suspenseful for an odometer test, but I have heard a lot of guys say speedo is off, don't want those extra miles on my gauges as it's off too.

I ran my front wheel speed sensor on my gen3 bench setup at exactly 180 mph for 4 minutes straight with a stop watch, speedo, and trip meter all in view.

At 180 mph, you accumulate a mile every 20 seconds or 3 miles per minute. Watch the video to see if the odometer lines up with those numbers.

Before you watch, what you do you think?

Odometer will match the speedo exactly.
Odometer won't be directly tied to speedo inaccuracy?
Ughh, who cares about the odometer on my hyperbike? I just wanna go fast mama!

So, is the error just in a poorly calibrated needle sweep? Knowing my Speedo is off at 80 still kills me when I’m trying to not be a menace lol

Even at 3% when your odometer reaches 10,000 miles you've only actually ridden 9,400 miles
Not the end of the world but still would be nice to correct this error on our $20,000 investment.
As noted somewhere in here, most or all speedos read high to help curtail speeding (assumedly), but (especially) in the case of a Hayabusa if we are speeding the offset is negligible as realistically we are more likely to be going much faster than that. Based on that realization, inaccuratly calibrating the speedometer is useless, so let's just have it be an accurate instrument and put the responsiblity with the operator.
Another angle to this is that since the bike is regulated by the ECU to max at 186 you can only ever really go 186-3% = 180.4 and dammit I want to go 186
:race:

Even at 3% when your odometer reaches 10,000 miles you've only actually ridden 9,400 miles
Not the end of the world but still would be nice to correct this error on our $20,000 investment.
As noted somewhere in here, most or all speedos read high to help curtail speeding (assumedly), but (especially) in the case of a Hayabusa if we are speeding the offset is negligible as realistically we are more likely to be going much faster than that. Based on that realization, inaccuratly calibrating the speedometer is useless, so let's just have it be an accurate instrument and put the responsiblity with the operator.
Another angle to this is that since the bike is regulated by the ECU to max at 186 you can only ever really go 186-3% = 180.4 and dammit I want to go 186
:race:
You will have to use a GPS to really know...I think the RPM is capped more than the speed...

Suzuki probably says the bike will go 186 mph at a certain RPM in top gear....we all know that figure is fluid as there are so many variables. You will have to get it flashed now.

You will have to use a GPS to really know...I think the RPM is capped more than the speed...

Suzuki probably says the bike will go 186 mph at a certain RPM in top gear....we all know that figure is fluid as there are so many variables. You will have to get it flashed now.
Yeah i did a videl a while back showing a way over 200 mph signal going in with no limitation as long as I kept RPM down

Strange to me aa gen3 ecu knows your speed where gen1 and gen2 didn't.

Mine has already been dyno'd and flashed although by an unknown source before I got the bike. I have no idea what was done to it. Therefore I'm sending it out to Chris Moore to get reflashed along with a report of changes made

Yeah i did a videl a while back showing a way over 200 mph signal going in with no limitation as long as I kept RPM down

Strange to me aa gen3 ecu knows your speed where gen1 and gen2 didn't.

@smithabusa
Does the gen3 ecu log or store any data, like speed or time?
The same way most cars/trucks have for years, crash data, etc.
The gen3 ecu isn't that smart on it's own yet; is it??

Last edited:
Just like it's always been with either the gen 1 and 2. Speedo way off and the odometer is accurate. They are all off by the same amount. I just do the calculations in my head since my first gen 1.

Try this out. Engage the cruise control at say 140 Kph analog speedo indication. Apply brakes to disengage cruise control. Then press reume (top LHS grey button). You will get a reading of 132 Kph as target speed on the centerTFT display. So, at 140 Kph indicated on the analog speedo the real speed the ECU stores is 132 Kph, therefore there is a +8 Kph difference.

Back