Speedometer Not Accurate - Are They All The Same?

Mine was off 8.3% but the spedohealer fixed it....and yes the milage is off to. Both are read from the same sensor so one cannot be off without the other being off too. A healer is the only way to make sure your speed, miles, and MPG are correct.

One can be off and the other could be accurate. Or to say it another way, speed and distance can have different errors. Considering how repeatable Suzuki makes the speedo error I'm confident they do it intentionally. They could easily program the miles to accumulate accurately and the speed to be off if they chose to. It could also happen with natural variation in manufacturing. As you point out, they use the same sensor, so changing one with a speedohealer (or gearing change) would effect both speed and distance equally.

My 09 shows 80mhp while my gps shows 72!! So mine is 10% too high at that speed. But, at 40mph is only 2 miles off!

The way they write tickets around here, it's probably good that it reads high.

I can see a cop saying "OK, hand over that GPS, we'll see how fast you were really going." :laugh:

Last edited:
My 09 shows 80mhp while my gps shows 72!! So mine is 10% too high at that speed. But, at 40mph is only 2 miles off!

I had my GPS speedo running for the first time on our Sunday ride. (Ulysse Speedometer App on Droid) That is exactly what I was seeing on my 2008. Speedo showing 80 and the GPS bouncing between 72/73.

I had my GPS speedo running for the first time on our Sunday ride. (Ulysse Speedometer App on Droid) That is exactly what I was seeing on my 2008. Speedo showing 80 and the GPS bouncing between 72/73.

I don't see how a speedohealer is going to fix that if it is using a fixed percentage to calculate your true speed.

Floyd

I don't see how a speedohealer is going to fix that if it is using a fixed percentage to calculate your true speed.

Floyd

Your speedo is only accurate at the speed you adjust the healer to match. It is closer at the other speeds though.

Going down one tooth in the front (stock teeth rear) made my Gen1 almost dead on all the way through the range according to GPS. Maybe 1% off here and there, but that's about how far my car is off so no big deal.

I also have a 1st gen speedo-healer that I took off when I first got the bike. (speed sensor was messed up so I didn't have a speedo anyway so I took the healer off). Will sell cheap if anyone wants it.

Going down one tooth in the front (stock teeth rear) made my Gen1 almost dead on all the way through the range according to GPS. Maybe 1% off here and there, but that's about how far my car is off so no big deal.

I also have a 1st gen speedo-healer that I took off when I first got the bike. (speed sensor was messed up so I didn't have a speedo anyway so I took the healer off). Will sell cheap if anyone wants it.

You mean one up in the front?

My busa and 14 were both off.......the busa was off 7%, after I corrected it with gps and a speedohealer it reads fairly accurate most of the way up the scale now. The 14, with a speedohealer set with gps, is accurate at lower speeds, but at higher triple digits it still starts reading expotentially higher as the speeds increase. But thats okay, because to override the speed restriction on the 14 I have to switch from my accurate speedohealer setting (I have the V4, it has 2 settings to switch between) to my setting which makes the speedo read way low, because the 14's speed restriction goes off mph, not rpms in 6th gear like the busa. Whats strange is my old school gixxer 1100 that reads the speed off the front wheel, is pretty accurate stock.

I think with the new electronics the bike makers are more able to manipulate the speedo's to purposely read high, while still keeping the odo's accurate. By law odometers have to be right on. With the older cable driven front wheel speedo's they didn't have the flexability to make one read high, and one accurate.

Even though both my busa and 14 speedo's read high stock, the odometers were right on. They're slightly off now tho, they rack up miles a little slower than they should, but not by too much.
I don't think thats really a bad thing eh? :laugh:

Back