How accurate is a Speedohealer ?

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering how accurate these Speedohealers are? I never did get one for my Busa but kinda wish I did , if nothing else so it would rack up the miles a little slower.

Anyways I now went +2 in back on my Gixxer and I have to do something because its obviously way off now.
Ive heard that even stock Gixxers are off around 7% so I am probaby off 12-15% now.

Id be happy if I was within 3%.

How accurate are Speedohealers? Has anyone put theirs up against a GPS? Are they adjustable so if you wanted to calibrate it to a GPS you could?

like all the speedo correctors. they are based on % off. the problem is most speedos are NOT linear. so at 50mph it could be 3% off and at 100mph it could be 10% off

Like Johnny said. They are based on % of correction. Even if you went as far as correcting the speedo at a particular speed it would just be off at the other end. GPS is the way to go. My bike pegs the speedo in 5th @ 185, I'd hafta be lucky if I were goin' high 160's low 170's.

YOU CAN CALIBRATE IT OUT TO WHAT EVER IT IS OFF USE THE GPS TO GET IT AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN.

YOU CAN CALIBRATE IT OUT TO WHAT EVER IT IS OFF USE THE GPS TO GET IT AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN.
With all due respect.. If he already has a GPS on the bike, why would he care about calibrating his speedo.. If I understand correctly the SpeedoHealer device corrects on a % margin at any given speed.

To conclude, if you were to correct your speedo at any speed (ex. 100 mph) It would still be off at +/- that speed based on the % of correction. Nothing will be as accurate as a GPS. You can get close but not exact.

The SH has a built in frequency generator that will allow you to test for linear error. When in this test mode it works by doubling the frequency everytime the button is pushed so you can see on the speedo if the reading also doubled from it's prior value. From the tests I have done there is little to no linear error in the Busa speedo, it is just off around +7%(+/-)
smile.gif

Use the GPS to get the real vs indicated reading and then correct it with the SH and it will work just fine. If you do need greater accuracy a GPS unit would win, the rest of the time the SH wins.
smile.gif

From what I gather , most modern bikes have very linear speedos...so it looks like Speedohealer
will indeed correct my set-up.

With my gear change on my Gixxer I adjusted mine to -12.2% using their online calculator....later on when I get some time
I will try a manual test to see what I come up with.

Check out these linearity tests Speedohealer did on a few bikes...

So the other day I had my bike up to 180 indicated...- 12.2% = 155 .

Speedohealer is installed and set to -12.2% , I plan on hitting 180 indicated again today.
race.gif

like all the speedo correctors. they are based on % off. the problem is most speedos are NOT linear. so at 50mph it could be 3% off and at 100mph it could be 10% off
Have to agree with you on this one. On the highway at about 70, I'm pretty close, at least with my wife in her Camry. But, at the upper end, I'm way off. A fixed percent of adjustment would correct the range you are testing, but would be off to some extent in the other ranges. I think this would become apparent if you tested at 80, 90, 100, 110, etc. against a GPS.

Again it depends on your specific speedo....Justin just said above he did a linearity test on his Busa and its very accurate.

Ive run a few Speedo to Odo error tests on my Gixxer and @ 58mph the speedo is +6% and @ 118mph the speedo is +6.5%

I cannot get an accurate reading @ 186mph though.

JC is absolutely right as usual! Here's a thought. Speed-0-healers cost around $100. The the speed-o errors really bother you, $100 will also buy you an inexpensive GPS (for example a Garmin eTrex). Set the eTrex GPS to read MPH, bolt it on the bars somewhere, and you'll have your accurate speed updated by the second!

Thanks for the offer Mike.

Lets see here , my speedo is off 6% @ 58mph and 6.5% off @ 118mph....even if its off a total of 1% from 0-180mph
id call that pretty damn linear...A GPS would be nice too but I like my speedometer to be accurate.

You guys also need to consider the fact that I went +2 teeth in the back sprocket...so mine was way off.

yeah i tested my stock geared busa before work its way off
65GPS=70mph, 83GPS=90mph, 90GPS=100mph, 117GPS=130mph

yeah i tested my stock geared busa  before work its way off
65GPS=70mph, 83GPS=90mph, 90GPS=100mph, 117GPS=130mph
Looks like your Busa is about inline with Justin's , a -7% Speedohealer setting would about perfect for you.

The only one that is not about 7% is your 100mph reading...id try that one again.

Back