Speedo Inop Update

SlimNickel

Registered
.Orgers,

Some of you may know that I've been having an issue with my speedo after the HID install. I took onboard some of the recommendations from other memebers, and still no positive result. This is the list of things that I have done so far:

1. unplugged the negative terminal and let set over-night (read in post)
2. moved the ballast from the nose to the right intake tube
3. unplugged the cluster and let sit for a couple of hours
4. disconnected the speed sensor wire from the case (left peg area), cleaned and reinstalled :banghead:

At this point, I don't know what else to do. I don't have the tools to do the speed sensor test. If I have to change the cluster, will the ODO read what the previous miles were on the donor cluster or the current miles on my bike? Help if you can...Lord knows I need it. I am work now. I'll post the ballast relocation pictures tonight.

Thanks Family

How do you have the wires routed?? I had the same issue all of the sudden. Noticed the wires fell of the hooks I had them routed on. Re-routed the wires and been good since.

Also did you reset the gauges after doing what you have done so far?
Posted via Mobile Device

Busa186,

I have all of the wiring for the ballast running along the outer right-side of the intake tube. For some reason, when I try to reset the gauge, it doesn't work. I start by holding the check/clock button in and then engage the key. I hold it for like five seconds or so, and then release. Still nothing. Maybe my sequence is wrong. Any suggestions on the reset? Do you have a pic of your wires?

The gauge cluster will read the miles it has counted. If the bike it was on had 6700 miles on it when it was taken off, it will read that when plugged into your bike.

Just checked on eBay for a speed sensor, and found one for a $100. Here's the deal...the listing says that it will fit on 2K1-2K9 Gixxers and 98-2K6 Katanas. I still have my 2K2 Katana 600 just sitting up. I wonder if it's worth giving that a try and how hard it would be to change. What do you guys think? At least that way, I could possibly rule out the need for a sensor and concentrate on a new cluster.

Just checked on eBay for a speed sensor, and found one for a $100. Here's the deal...the listing says that it will fit on 2K1-2K9 Gixxers and 98-2K6 Katanas. I still have my 2K2 Katana 600 just sitting up. I wonder if it's worth giving that a try and how hard it would be to change. What do you guys think? At least that way, I could possibly rule out the need for a sensor and concentrate on a new cluster.

It was working before your install, correct?

If so, its probably something simple. Once your wires go into the nose cone are they just flopping around in there? make sure the wires are routed as far away fromthe cluster as possible. Do any other gauges act up?

If you down load the service manual the instructions are there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Busa186,

Yes, the entire cluster was working, i.e. speedo, odo, fuel, etc. it didn't start for a couple of weeks after the install. All of the needles cycle when you turn the key to on. The only wires in the nose are the ones from the hi/lo beams. The ballasts and igniters are tucked alongside the intake duct.

None of the other gauges are giving me a problem. Tach works fine while riding, but the speedo stays pegged at 0. If I can get this darn thing to work again, I'll shield the ballasts with some typr of foil or something.

Have you been dealing with this for a year+??

Here is the link for the reset.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/atta...ted-topics/100565-help-finding-link-reset.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

It's been about that long. Since here in Japan we are on the metric system, I have it down to a science with the RPMs. If the speed limit is 40kmh, then I know that 2500-3000 rpms is 40kmh....I tested that on a road-side radar.

I'll try that tonight when I get home. I'll kick my own A$* if it works, because I believe that after all this time I had been pressing the wrong button. I thought that it was the one on the top...duh, that's the clock. I'll keep you posted.

Ok, so I did the gauge reset bit, and still nothing with he speedo. When doing the reset, the speedo and tach needles do the lil wiggle thing. I started it up and took it for a spin around the flight line....NO DICE!!! Any other suggestions?

I am sure you have done this but I would just look at this link https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/108811-h-i-d-s-install-my-08-hayabusa.html and make sure you have not missed anything. I did this mod in late 07 on my 08 and the only issue I have is the gages will reset every now and then when I switch from low to high beam. It will reset my clock every time it does it but it is not that often. My starting process is done this way.
1 Push starter button
2 Turn key on
3 pull clutch in to start

Most of the time this will not reset everything. Double check the wiring. I feel sure it is something simple. Good luck

The special start up only saves the ballast from starting up twice.

how do you have your wires routed in the nose? Once they leave the intake tube they should be as far away from the cluster as possible. If the wires are just laying against the cluster you are going to have issues. there are clips in the nose that you can use that will direct the wires away from the cluster. does that make sense?

Also, have you disconnected your hid just to be positive that's the issues?
Posted via Mobile Device

When I installed hid in my 02 1k the speedo stopped working the same day, it had blown one of the mini fuses. I haven't heard u say u checked that but it's always where you start with electrical. I replaced it and never had a problem again

If not that I agree, remove hid and verify. Two weeks sounds like a big gap for an electrical part to stop working because of another electrical part.

The special start up only saves the ballast from starting up twice.

how do you have your wires routed in the nose? Once they leave the intake tube they should be as far away from the cluster as possible. If the wires are just laying against the cluster you are going to have issues. there are clips in the nose that you can use that will direct the wires away from the cluster. does that make sense?

Also, have you disconnected your hid just to be positive that's the issues?
Posted via Mobile Device

Busa,

Disconnection was the first thing I did. When I had the nose off, I took the bike through the parking lot, and notthing happend. The only wires that are in the nose are the wires coming from the bulbs, and they follow their natural routing.

Did you check the fuses?

Just to clarify,

your speedo does not work with the hid hooked up and disconnected.

It worked right up until you made the change.

it quite right after you made the change or two weeks later?

you double checked the connections at both ends of the speedo cable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybee a dumb question, but when you were in the parking lot you got it up to speed right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybee a dumb question, but when you were in the parking lot you got it up to speed right?
Posted via Mobile Device

No such thing as a dumb question. I got it up to as fast I could with the limited space available...at least 2500rpm. That should have been enough to at least move the needle a little bit right?

No such thing as a dumb question. I got it up to as fast I could with the limited space available...at least 2500rpm. That should have been enough to at least move the needle a little bit right?

Yeah, that should have moved it.

How is the fuse
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you check the fuses?

Just to clarify,

your speedo does not work with the hid hooked up and disconnected.

It worked right up until you made the change.

it quite right after you made the change or two weeks later?

you double checked the connections at both ends of the speedo cable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haven't checked the fuses yet? Which one should I look at? I am at work right now, but I'll check the ones you suggest.

Yes/no. Speedo doesn't work with HID's hooked or unhooked.

It died right about that time.

So far, I checked and cleaned the connection that's next to the shifter and rear set. I haven't traced it back up to the front of the bike yet. Will look at that too.

Back