Speedo went crazy for a few minutes...Why?

Rothman

"Professional Lurker"
Registered
I was taking the MSF experienced riders course the other day and after about 3 hours of low speed riding my speedo starting acting wierd. I would be going about 30 and it would only indicate around 5-7mph. It was indicating WAY too low. I shut it off and looked around and didn't see anything out of place. I pushed my cluster down a bit and wiggled it. Problem went away once I restarted. I'm going to pull the cluster to adjust my lights anyway so when I'm in there I'll see what was going on but I don't think theres any way that the cluster connector could have come loose. That thing fits super tight into place. Where is the sensor for the speedo anyway? Bike was running crazy hot due to the low speed riding for hours at a time, could that have caused it?

I hate MSF courses. They are designed for cruisers and expect every type of bike to perform in the same way at low speeds....STUPID.

Look at sprocket cover and wires there. Easier and safer than mucking with cluster, besides its sealed so u will not see much under the windscreen.

I'll check out the sprocket cover tonight. The battery is brand new as of about a month ago.

I took the MSF course this summer. There are definetly riders that benifit from it.

Air Force?

Yep, Air Force AD. I would say that if you are a brand new rider and have never been on a bike before or if you ride a cruiser, these courses could be okay. My instructor was on a GSXR750 and even he said that it is rediculous to expect sportsbikes to have to do some of the maneuvers. I did quite well through it all considering, he said he didn't know a Busa could do that. I took a Sportsbike specific class a few bases ago from the same teacher that taught my first MSF BRC, first thing he said at the sportsbike class? Forget everything you were taught in the MSF courses.

Back